IX

Johnny's point of view

It was late in the afternoon and I sitting smoking a cigarette on the curb, waiting to watch the sun go down. I was sat in front of the Curtis house, but Darry and Soda were at the hospital with Ponyboy. They've been there for a while trying to convince doctors into letting him go home. Darry's kinda scary and Sodapop's really persuasive so it shouldn't be too hard.

I hear the unmistakable sound or an old ford truck and see Soda driving down the road and pulling into the driveway. I stand up flicking my cigarette on the ground and walk towards the car.

"So you got any news, man?" I ask eagerly.

"Yup! Ponyboy's free to come back home! Darry's still at the hospital signing stuff and I came back to grab Pony some clothes. Wanna come?" he asks as we both walk into the house. Two-Bit's sat on the floor watching TV. He turns around when we walk in.

"Hey how y'all doin'? Ponyboy comin' home yet?" Two-Bit stood up and switched off the TV.

"Yeah he's getting out tonight! I'm stopping by to get him some clothes. I was just asking Pony's boyfriend here if he wanted to come." Soda punches me playfully on the shoulder, I feel my cheeks heat up.

"Well shoot, with an event like this I'll tag along!" Two-Bit stated. Soda smiled and head to his room in a quick jog.

Two-Bit put an arm around my shoulder and took a swig of his beer. "Johnny lemme tell you something. Boys are the same as girls, you can't get too hung up on 'em if they ain't worth it." I think he's a little drunk.

"Well, Ponyboy's worth anything." I mumble. Two-Bit slumps back onto the couch,

"Oh well ain't that sweet." he smiles. "Listen though if that kid ever hurts ya, you come to me alright? I'll show him a fight." he fake punched the air.

"I don't think that's too hot of an idea with Superman as a big brother." Two-Bit merely shrugged and finished his drink.

Sodapop reappears in the doorway carrying some jeans and a t-shirt in his arms.

"Shall we then?" Two-But and I follow Soda out the front door and hop into the old Ford, driving away to the hospital.

•••

We all cram into the little elevator and Two-Bit decides to push all of the buttons even though we're only going to the second floor. I didn't bother telling him off for it, I was too exited that Ponyboy is okay and can come home today. I'm going to take him to the movies tonight and we can stop by the lot after, look up at the stars and just be, together.  Now I know that all sounds corny and gross but it's real nice, it's my favorite thing to do. It's either that or watching drag races with Dallas. I don't know what it is but seeing others compete neck and neck, everyone so tense and all, it's exiting. I'd never be able to compete myself though, my backs too messed up and I'm too chicken anyways.

We get in front of Pony's room and I push open the door, running onto his bed and jumping on him.

Ponyboy laughs lightly and hugs me.

"Hiya Johnny." he smiled at me, glory he's so cute damnit.

I blush and kiss his cheek, "Hi."

"Oh stop it guys, gross." I looked over at Darry, I'd forgotten they where there. I awkwardly get down from the bed.

"Sorry."

Sodapop hands Pony the pile of clothes, "Alright let's leave the kid to change."  I follow behind Two-Bit Darry and Soda into the hallway.