(17)

"You made love to her?" Alfred asked, processing what he had just come to learn. Bruce had shared with him vaguely what had happened with (YN) last night.

Bruce cleared his throat, fidgeting on his chair a little uncomfortably. This was an odd conversation to have with his butler. "If that's what you want to call it, then yes," he said before taking a bite of his toast and downing it with his coffee. "Does this mean there will be a next generation of Waynes after all?" Bruce raised his brows at Alfred, finding his mocking question a little out of place given the serious topic. "Never mind," he quickly added, bringing his hands up apologetically. "But how could this have happened? She can't possibly have feelings for you after- well," Alfred said, waving his hands about. Bruce sighed. He couldn't give his butler a reasonable answer. He didn't understand last night's incident himself. All Bruce knew was that he had liked his body pressed to (YN)'s more than he should have. "A side effect, I believe," he shared his assumption. 'Something's clouding her mind.'

Alfred frowned slightly. "You need to have that conversation with a certain Luthor," he said sternly. "I know, Alfred. I know," Bruce answered, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Allow me to ask you a question, sir. Do you still intend to let miss (YN) go?" Alfred asked even though he believed to know the answer already. "You won't let it get in the way of your plan, will you, Master Wayne?"

Bruce looked up abruptly. His plan hadn't even crossed his mind. She wasn't really a prisoner in his house anymore, was she? "Of course not. We will stick to the plan. We have to stick to the plan," he affirmed even though there was a part of him that would rather abandon the plan and hide (YN) forever. "Then we shall not forget about the kryptonite, sir," Alfred said, sliding a freshly filled syringe across the table. Bruce caught it before it could fall to the floor. He stood up and prepared a tray with breakfast for (YN).

"Breakfast in bed?" Alfred commented curiously, causing Bruce to roll his eyes. "Is there a problem with that?" he said, sounding a tad annoyed. "Not at all, master Wayne," Alfred said. "I think you like her," he added and Bruce snorted at the remark. "She needs to eat something," Bruce defended himself while filling a mug with coffee. He picked up the syringe, pulled the plunger from the barrel and mixed in the kryptonite, the dark color of the coffee hiding any evidence of the added green liquid.

"Smart," Alfred complimented. "Just one more thing," he said and left the kitchen. Bruce watched him disappear into the foyer, wearing a skeptical expression. He groaned when Alfred came back with a single white daisy pom. He put the flower into a vase and placed it onto the tray with a grin. "Now you can go, sir." Bruce looked at Alfred with a set smile before making his way upstairs, balancing the tray on his hands.

He pressed down the door handle with his elbow and pushed the door open with his shoulder.

A soft breeze went through the room.

(YN) was standing outside on the deck, the flat sheet from Bruce's bed wrapped around her naked body. She observed the lake, watching the morning fog dance above the shimmering water. The sun was slowly rising, tinting the sky in soft blues and the clouds in soft pinks.

Bruce followed her out onto the deck. (YN) turned to face him when she heard his footsteps on the wood. "Good morning," she said with a smile that turned into a beam as soon as her eyes landed on the tray in his hands. "You made breakfast?" (YN) asked, smitten with surprise. "I did. And I had hoped you would still be in bed," Bruce answered with a small smile of his own. "I couldn't resist. It's so beautiful out here," (YN) said dreamily, taking a deep breath of the crisp morning air. "It is," Bruce agreed quietly, and (YN) wasn't sure whether he meant the scenery or her. Naturally, she blushed and bit her lower lip. Bruce noticed her flustered expression, but didn't say anything about it. Instead, he put down the tray and sat down. He signaled (YN) to come join him on the floor and she happily obliged. When she noticed that there was only enough food for one person on the tray she frowned. "Aren't you going to eat?" (YN) asked. "I already have. I got up at 6," Bruce explained. "Oh," was all she said to that. He didn't like the bleak expression on (YN)'s face and to cheer her up he quickly suggested, "Maybe we can share the orange juice?" Her smile reappeared and she quickly grabbed the coffee mug. "You can drink it. I'd rather have this coffee all to myself."