Prologue - Death and New Life

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Prologue – Death and New Life

Ptolemy XII had slowly grown very ill over a long period of time. Although it appeared his illness would only get worse, he was glad he had the time to think over what would happen when he passed into the afterlife. Most of his affairs were in order, he just had one last thing to sort out – who would rule in his place after he passed away.

He had devoted his entire life to ensuring his children were given the best possible education and were well taken care of. Throughout the years he had seen them all grow and mature, especially his eldest child, Cleopatra.

He could see in her something special, a heart set on fire for Egypt. Although he would never admit it to anyone, he could see she would make a better pharaoh than any of her other siblings, even her brothers.

The power of the empire had weakened over time since he was pharaoh, and Ptomely XII knew he was leaving his heir with a difficult task of restoring Egypt. He knew it was nearly impossible for anyone to make Egypt great again, but if anyone could do it, it would be Cleopatra.

However, the problem of her gender as a pharaoh arose. Even though she was the eldest, there were many laws and regulations in place preventing her from assuming sole rulership over Egypt and its people.

It was this thinking that led the pharaoh to declare in his will that Cleopatra and her brother, Ptolemy XIII, would rule the kingdom together once he died.

Little did he know, his choice would spark a fierce battle within the palace’s walls.

The men in Cleopatra’s life would constantly try to control and manipulate the decisions she made as co-ruler, but her sheer wit and intellegence would see she outsmarted them every time. Many would plot against her, even some of her own family members.

But Cleopatra was ready for whatever was thrown at her. She had known for many years in advance she would inherit her father’s throne, and had also known there would be many who would try and snatch it from her because she was a woman.

She soon learnt to keep her allies close, but her enemies even closer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feedback please! If enough people enjoy this I will continue to upload new chapters :) Leave me a vote or a comment if you think you could manage to read something like this because to be honest I enjoy writing historical fiction/romances such as this and Queen of Persia. <3