Chapter 4: Two Brothers

After a couple of days, I was able to return to school. All the teachers and classmates greeted me back as I walked into the classroom. Everything was the same yet different. After everything that happened since Halloween I couldn’t stop thinking about what’ll happen to me next. A lot of gossip went around the school about what happened to me. Of course Liz was quick to squash all of that for me, besides, she always hated people talking about her friends or anyone else who just had an issue. I day dreamed the whole school day until Trent found me. We walked together on the way home as we talked.

“Hi Zoey, how do you feel? I can see that some of your bruises went away.”

“Hi Trent, I feel fine. I’m just a little out of it that’s all.”

“Do you to get you some help?”

“Oh no no. Don’t do that I said I’m okay Trent but, thanks. You’re so sweet.”

“Okay. If you say so.”

“So did your brother return from seeing your parents?”

“…yeah…” Trent started to look gloomy.

“What’s wrong? Did something happen?”

Trent began to look down. “I don’t know, he won’t say what happened or anything. He just keeps telling don’t worry about it and then he just walks off to his room. He never tells me what happens when he goes to visits our parents! He just comes back with a scowl on his face. I tried to beg him to tell me but them he only gets mad and tells me to forget about our parents and move on.”

“Are you serious? He won’t say anything to you and then he acts like that?!? How rude! Maybe I should go talk to him!”

“No! Please don’t, you’ll only make him angry. I thank you for your concern but just never mind the whole thing…he won’t talk.”

“…Trent.” I said looking at him with a worried expression.

“Look, enough about me and or about you. You should get home soon so you can rest besides, you just got out of the hospital and you need to take it easy.” He said with a fake smile on his face. I knew this was starting to hurt him a little.

“Trent just let me--”

“I told you to forget about what happened Zoey!” Trent yelled furiously.

“Trent…” I paused.

“…Oh my gosh!” Trent said as he looked frightened, covering his mouth.  “I-I’m so sorry. I…I don’t know what came over me. Please forgive me Zoey I didn’t mean to yell. I have to go!”

“Trent wait!” I yelled as he ran off down the road. “Come back Trent! I didn’t mean to make yell at me! I’m sorry!” I walked him run away; I could go after him because the doctor said I’d only pass out if I do too much. I such a horrible person; I knew the conversation was beginning to hurt him but I didn’t stop talking. Now I hurt him even more than he already was…I deserve to be yelled at.

I walked home alone thinking about what just happened. I wish I haven’t done that, he probably wanted to tell me to shut up. He probably never wants to speak to again. Ugh! Why is this all happening to me?! I opened my door to find my sister playing with our dog. She greeted me home and Ray jumped on me and licked my face. Our parents soon walked out the kitchen to greet me home as well. To my surprise my father told me that he and my mother switched jobs to be closer to me and I sister. He said after the scare he gotten from me passing out in church he and decided to switch companies so he can be more local and not go on so many business trips. My mother had too decided it would be best if she’d stay near me and Lee, so she said that she’ll start a fashion company somewhere around town. I was glad about all this but, I still couldn’t be elated with news because I still felt bad.