Questions and Answers

"Right, listen up!" Viper's shout silenced the noisy spies. He headed to a secluded corner of the mess hall before saying, "These four tables have been reserved for you lot so that no unsuspecting unit has to sit here with you. Spread yourselves out, mix genders if you want to. Just remember, only these four tables are yours so don't sit anywhere else. K and D units tables are over by the doors, so don't get lost. Now, line up and get your slop!" Viper directed the spys over to the counter, where several soldiers stood impatiently, waiting for their own mushy plate of slop that the camp called 'food'.

Alex and his unit sat down several minutes later with their trays, collapsing into the plastic chairs with annoyance steadily infecting the air. The only sound in the hall was coming from the corner, where twenty-four noisy operatives sat complaining about the food. A few of the smarter ones braced themselves and wolfed it all down, needing the well earned energy." I suppose after this we should give them a slightly more detailed timetable than the meal plan one we gave them?" Fox was the one who phrased this question and was answered with a few nods.

" I think we should gather them outside their barracks, tell them their timetable and then ask if they have any questions about the SAS in General or their timetable and barracks." Snakes idea seemed like a good one.

"Sounds like a plan!"Viper stood and made his way to the bin where he dumped his remaining grey slop."I think most of the brats are done now, and if they aren't they will be soon." Viper walked over to the brats and told them where to put their leftovers and trays.
Ten minutes later......................................................

"Now, your schedule goes a bit like this:

Wake up: 5:00
Run: 5:00 - 5:45
Breakfast: 6:00 - 6:30
Session 1: 6:30 - 9:15
Session 2: 9:15 - 12:00
Lunch: 12:00 - 12:30
Session 3: 12:30 - 14:15
Session 4: 14:15 - 16:00
Session 5: 16:00 - 17:45
Shower/transaction period: 17:45 - 18:00
Dinner: 18:00 - 18:30
Free time: 18:30 - 20:30
Lights out: 20:30

So that is your basic timetable, there are ten areas around the camp, you will head to a different area each session. Every two days we will swap around the areas you have sessions in so you can have a variety. Now, any questions about either the SAS or your timetable?" Viper finished his speech and looked around at the spies, who in turn looked at each other.

Finally, one of the older-looking ones cleared their throat and said nervously,"Who is the youngest soldier in the camp at the moment, not including us?"

Viper considered it for a moment before turning around and stepping towards Wolf, whispering to him,"what's the legal age to join SAS at the moment?" Wolf stared at him for a second before whispering back.

"It's twenty-one, why?"

"Never mind, do you know anyone under that age?"

"No, the youngest is lion, and he's twenty-two. The next question will probably be who's the oldest, it's currently Panther, who's thirty-four. Panther is going to get binned soon though, I just know it."

"Thanks Wolf." Viper then turned around to face a crowd of operatives who were puzzled at the quiet conversation that had taken place. Thankfully, they hadn't heard."Right then, at the moment the youngest is me, and I'm twenty. Anymore questions?"

Another, younger, spy decided to ask the question that was on his mind next and as usual, Wolfs prediction was right."Who is the oldest?"

"That would be Panther, who is thirty-four. Anyone else?" Viper scanned the crowd, looking for anyone who looked ready to burst with a question.

Just as he found a woman who had opened her mouth ready, she spoke." Will we do our sessions in groups? Or will we all go round together?" This time it was Hyena who answered, his quiet voice seeming almost deafening after the noise of the past hour.

"There is not enough space in each area for everyone at once, so we will split into groups. Viper and Fox are in charge of splitting you up." Viper nodded, already planning the groups in his mind. It was smart of the sergeant to put them with a three man unit, as this way there was an even number of them. Viper decided that five females and seven males would make up a group, not counting four soldiers in each group too. It would make sense for Alex to be in charge of one group, and Fox in charge of the other. Viper shoved the thoughts into the back of his mind, concentrating on the task at hand.

"Will we get uniform because I have only bought three sets of clothes!" A lone man in the back called out, looking worried.

"Yes, you will get the same uniform as all the men trying to be recruited get every year. It's a normal uniform, just without the badges and logos. Thinking about that, we better head off to the infirmary to pick them up. I hope you all know which size you need!" With that, the soldiers walked off briskly, a crowd of stumbling spys following behind.

Five minutes later, just outside the infirmary.......

"Form a single file line! How hard can it be?" Finally the spies formed something that slightly resembled a line and Fox led them through to the reception, and one by one, each person told the nurse at the desk their size. When everyone was done, the nurse, Nurse Powell, strolled over to a locked storage cupboard.

Hey, Viper, you want full uniforms or recruits ones?" Nurse Powell called to Alex. They knew each other very well, as Alex was usually assigned nurse Powell when he came back from a mission injured.

"Just recruits will do, Mary!" Viper called back. Apparently they were on a first name basis, thought Fox as he waited with the brats. Ten minutes later and the spys were in their barracks, as were K and D unit. They were all squashed into k units cabin, trying to sort out groups. Alex held a piece of paper and a pen, with a line down the centre of the page.

"I think me and Fox should be team leaders, as we are in charge of them. We should also split both K and D unit between the groups." Seven nods looked towards him for further instructions. Alex frantically scribbled down his notes and showed the others.

Group 1
Fox
Wolf
Snake
Hawk

Group 2
Viper
Hyena
Bear
Eagle

Hyena and Bear both simultaneously groaned as Eagle grinned and started bouncing. Fox, Snake, Wolf and Hawk just looked at each other and high-fived."I know it's not ideal but it's the best we've got. Sorry Hyena, Bear, but it's the only way." Viper looked genuinely sorry for his team. All three glared at Eagle.

"Hey, who said it's not ideal? It's perfect!" Fox. Of course."We should head off to bed now though. It's a busy day tomorrow!" Another chorus of groans and sighs later, and everyone was asleep. Well, everyone except Viper. He still had nightmares about that day in Egypt when Jack died. But that wasn't the only nightmare that plagued his mind at night. Australia, Ark Angel, Skeleton Key, Point Blanc, Cornwall, Air Force One and Malagosto still sent his thoughts flying through his brain to hide. And so, Viper laid awake almost all night, catching maybe an hour and a half at the blackest part of the night.
______________________________________________________
Authors note
Disclaimer: I own nothing you recognise from the Alex rider books.

Hello people this is the fourth part and I'm currently next to my little brother who is fast asleep right now. The first review goes to..... Marijej well done and thanks for the awesome feedback and I hope more people comment and favourite but most importantly, read! Please tell your friends about this and get them to read and review. I only write so other people can enjoy it and so I can see if I'm any good at writing stories. Please tell me if I am!! :-)

Published: Sunday 10 July