Friends to Lovers

Merlin stayed frozen. Shit, Arthur knew. He knew about his magic! And he hasn't chopped his head off. And he hasn't said anything either.

"How long?" He whispered. "How long have you known?"

Arthur rolled his eyes and smirked. "Well, it's been a while. You're not very good at keeping it secret. It is a mystery how you have been in Camelot all this time and you're still alive, honestly."

Merlin felt a wave of anger and he frowned. "And you haven't told me anything at all. I've been playing the fool all this years for nothing.."

This time, the king glared at him. "Are you seriously telling me this? Who is the one here that has been lying ever since we met?"

"It was different!" Merlin replied, "I would have been dead if I had told you, but -"

"I wouldn't have let anyone hurt you, Merlin. I understand why you didn't tell me, but I hoped you trusted me a bit more."

Arthur looked sad now, but he kept talking without looking away. "Before you say something more, I want you to know that you had to tell me when you were ready, and I don't blame you for it. Perhaps I was angry and disappointed because you didn't trust me enough to keep your secret, but then I realised that it wasn't like that. Plus, I've had quite a lot of time to consider everything, and I've came to the conclusion that my father's point of view of magic was wrong. Magic isn't evil, and neither those who practice magic are, at least not everyone. And... you should know that I'm having the ban on magic lifted." He finished with his speech.

Merlin was speechless, he couldn't believe that Arthur had actually said all that. It was far much more than he had dared to hope.

The king straightened and Merlin made the attempt to move, but Arthur settled him down in his lap, and he put his arms around Merlin's waist.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asked softly. Merlin looked into his eyes, those beautiful blue eyes, and he found himself losing the thread of the conversation.

"I... Huh..." Arthur held him tightly and oh god, his eyes were shining, and they were full of fondness and something more that he didn't dare to name. Merlin cleared his throat, he had been staring.

".... sire? Arthur? What -"

Arthur cut him off with a kiss. At first, Merlin was startled, but after a few moments he smiled into the kiss and kissed him back.

Arthur's lips were warm and confident, and they fitted perfectly fine with his. Arthur cupped his hand on the nape of Merlin's neck, and ran his fingers through the soft hair. His other hand reached up to touch Merlin's cheek with gently fingers, soothing him, and the warlock shivered, resting his arms on Arthur's shoulders.

The king wrapped his arms around him and deepened the kiss. Merlin's mouth finally opened for him, and he groaned as his tongue made it past his servant's lips. Arthur gently ran his thumb against his sharp cheekbones, and Merlin groaned.

Merlin drew him flush against his body as he felt a wave of arousal make its way through his body, and he felt Arthur's arousal pressed against him.

Merlin licked Arthur's lips and mouth as if trying to compensate all those years of longing, both of them exploring each other's mouth to memorise every inch of them. Arthur groaned and tugged him harder into the kiss, sliding his hand, which was in Merlin's soft hair, across his bare back.