six

ASHTON's POV

"Bailey, what the- Who are you?", I question immediately once I reach my bedroom.

"I'm Luke?", a tall guy, kind of scrawny, replies confused. "I stayed behind to help clean up."

"And why would there be a need to clean up?", I question, my face full of annoyance.

"Did I dial the wrong number?", Bailey questions, emerging from the closet. "I thought you'd have been in a better mood by now."

"What happened?"

"Well, you see," Luke begins. "Arzaylea wanted to find something here, I think about your dad? She didn't explain what, but she was looking for something. She kept knocking everything over so. Yeah, have to clean it up at some point."

I rub my hand down my face and sigh, not really knowing what to do next.

"Where was Charlie?", I ask the first thing that comes to mind.

"Apparently he was in a meeting with dad," Bailey says quietly. 

"Okay... Okay," I repeat. "Alright, so explain it again, since I'm still confused, who are you?"

Luke stands up straighter and thinks for a moment before saying the most confusing thing I've ever heard:

"I'm your stepdad's first wife's second husband's first wife's daughter's boy- ex-boyfriend."

"What!"

"He's Arzaylea's ex boyfriend," Bailey explains. "He kind of broke up with her when she went insane. Or, this time at least."

"Thank you someone for speaking English," I mutter. "Bailey, you and, Luke?, can go talk to Charlie. I'll clean up."

"It's fine mate, I mean, I did help make the mess," Luke starts offering.

"No thank you," I reply, trying to not snap. "I don't like people in my room."

"Well I didn't find any Biker Babe magazines under your bed," Luke jokes but drops his chuckle when he sees my emotionless face. "I'll be with Bailey!"

Luke walks out and stands in the hall, waiting for Bailey. Bailey shuffles towards me slowly, her head bowed to look at her shoes. 

"I'm sorry," she says softly. "I got home and went to my room and I should- I should have checked, because I- I know you don't like your door open and... I'm sorry."

Bailey doesn't look up and I hold in my sigh, knowing she would just take it the wrong way. 

"When did you get home?", I ask, ready to change the subject. I'm not good with emotions, and Bailey can't control hers. Subject changes are our bonding thing, I suppose.

"About ten minutes before I called you..."

"Woah, where were you all day?"

Bailey doesn't like going outside, especially alone. She barely goes into our own yard. Where would she spend, what, six hours?

"I got lost when I stormed off and when I got back I just walked around the block for a while," she rambles. "I didn't know I'd been gone so long."

"Wait, you got lost?", I ask disbelievingly. "Did you have a panic attack?"

"No, actually...", she mumbles. "I'm gonna go tell Charlie. You know, not to let Arzaylea here. Is Bryana coming over?"

"Why do you want Bry and I to be together so badly?"

"I like her," Bailey shrugs. "She's good for you. You're nice when she's around."

Bailey cuts the interrogation short and ducks her head down as she passes me to go into the hallway. I turn slightly, watching her walk away with Luke. I linger for a moment, finally shuffling my feet forward to clean up my room.