Untitled Part 10

It was amazing, how everything can change in a matter of days. As much as I did not want to help, Agatha did good to light a fire in my stomach. What if I did help her? What if she did succeed? Would we just pick up where we left off? Did she honestly believe things to happen that way?

Of course she did. She is a blond misfit with naive ideas of rebellion.

But, if she did succeed could things get better? Could I go home, with my people?

The midnight song came and went in silence. It was so quiet now. Everything was quiet before, but once you hear thunder it is hard to get used to the rain.

The song I had sung was about a man that lost his life protecting his family, so they died anyway. It is supposed to teach the value of cunning over brash bravery, but I find it just depressing.

It was funny though, for we have a hymn I learned in my childhood that was very similar but also opposite. It was about a man who shared a hut with his brother, and their two families. When the hut was invaded the brother tried to beg and flee, and use smart words with the attacker. The attacker then tried to kill him but the man lunged at him and killed him first.

I always loved that hymn. The melody sunk into my ears, and I could not stop myself. I opened my mouth to sing the words and fluent Unwaian was expelled. The melody, the song, that they tried so hard to steal from me, came pouring out.

The song ended and I actually felt sorrow. Not the fear and self-pity I had felt just yesterday, but sorrow in knowing I would die with this song.

"That song doesn't sound like the song of a woman who doesn't want to fight." Agatha's head of thick light golden hair, was poking out of the hatch in the ground. She wore a sorry kind of smile. In her hand was a lit lamp. Gettidie and Ellio brought lamps, but without them, It was dark at night.

"I do want to fight." I spoke mostly to myself. "How are you here? I thought the tower was guarded? I know for a fact that hatch is locked."

"I didn't see any guards, or rather, they didn't see me," She said with a wink, "and you honestly believe I haven't learned how to pick a lock?" She chuckled her, low, familiar, chuckle.

"Right." I mused. I casted her away just hours ago, but I was excited to see a kind face.

"I think you're scared."

"I already told you no!"

"You don't mean that!"

"I do!" I pushed my hands to my ears, I was done listening. "You are right! You are right, Agatha! I am so scared! I am scared we would fail, but I am scared we would succeed! How would I rule these people? How would I help them? I know you have the plan, but I cannot leave. They could be across the sea being slaughtered and punished for my actions, and if we succeed, how could I know they would follow me?"

"They would!"

"They should not!" I threw my arms out to my side. I wish she would just let me speak, let me tell her why I so desperately want to, but also why I cannot. "I am the princess, but I know more about the culture thrown upon me, than the one I should be ruling. I do not speak the language fluently. I was five when they took us, Agatha! Five! I can speak in sentences, but I sound like a child. How can I hold a conversation? How can I rule!" My arms fell. "I am scared."

"Trust me when I tell you, I will protect you."

"How can you protect us all?"

"I can't."

"Then I cannot help you." I sighed. "If you cannot promise me they will be okay, then I cannot help."

"If you want change, and I know you do, you need to make sacrifices." She stepped toward me, and I turned my back on her. "Are you even curious as to what they want?" The hair on my neck stood up. "I know you're scared, but I also know a way to stop some of those fears. What if you sing your people a message, just basically asking them if they want to fight. Tell them to congregate in the square at midnight tomorrow. Just see, see if they want to."

"That, is an idea." That is an idea I had not figured. I am trying to protect them, but what if they do not want my protection? "What about the slaves at the islands? I want all my people to have input."

"I also came to ask... If you agree, and you want to help us, what would you say about bringing back your people on the island? There are many there, as I'm sure you know. Their power could be a turning point."

"You would ask them?" I turned in a panic.

"Yes, I'd personally sail there and ask them."

"Dear Koxma. If you ask them they'd say yes! You know you have the gift of persuasion..." To have Agatha ask them, would just like recruiting them.

"What if they want to as well? Just try, and see. Ask them in your song." She begged.

I sighed. She had the skill of persuasion. "Alright."

That childish grin stretched across her face. "Thank you! Thank you, you won't be disappointed!" She went to grab my shoulders, but my flinch told her otherwise. "I- I have to go princess. Thank you again." She dipped her head. "Say Hymn?"

"Yes Agatha?"

"How do you say goodbye? In Unwaian?"

"Gae-pay" my answer was coated in confusion.

"Alright then, Gae-pay," She ducked her head, lower this time, and slipped back under the stairs.

an:E