Chapter 8 - Butterflies

Living with him would only allow me to master that skill.

Cameron's POV

"I wonder what they're talking about," said Chris, pushing the curtains aside for a clearer view, "Micah looks stressed out."

From the window, I saw Daddy's hand on Micah's shoulder. Micah's brows were furrowed and the wrinkles on his forehead made him look about ten years older. Then again, that was his normal facial expression. This time his gloomy eyes searched desperately for sympathy. I assumed he was telling Daddy about what had happened during the past ten years - how he left one day with no forwarding address and no form of contact. I was still waiting for an explanation but I didn't know how to approach him with that topic. Needless to say, it was a sensitive one. Besides that, I could barely get a sentence out of him whenever I tried to converse with him. He always gave me one word answers or annoyed glares. Nothing more, nothing less. Eventually I gave up trying. He wasn't in the least bit interested in rekindling our friendship.

"By the way, are you still going out with Prince Charming tonight now that Dad's back?" Chris questioned.

"I don't know," I hesitated, "Probably not. Maybe he can come over for dinner instead?"

Chris shrugged casually, "If you wish."

"I'll text him now," I flipped out my phone from my pocket.

"He really likes you," he teased, "I can tell. Everyone can."

My heart fluttered a little, like a butterfly. Over the past two weeks, I had gotten very close with Nick. He'd walk me to my classes every morning, carry my books for me and occasionally, he'd even sit with us at lunch. His group was a bit disgruntled that he spent quite a bit of time with us instead of them. I'd say they were on the verge of disowning him as the golden boy of the group. Fortunately for him, he was spared because of his popularity amongst all the students. Had they kicked him out, the majority of the school would have frowned upon them. That was the last thing they wanted.

I sighed, "I just don't get why he's interested in me, of all people!"

"You don't choose who you fall in love with."

*****

Nick's seemingly sudden arrival was punctuated by Charles cordially greeting him with the rich aroma escaping through the front door. He was dressed up smartly in a pair of navy pants that were held in place by a black belt. He threw on a matching blazer over his salmon pink shirt. In his hand was a bottle of red wine tied with a scarlet ribbon for Mom and Dad. The sun was setting behind him, painting the sky a warm orange color. A light breeze blew a strand of his hair out of his face as he flashed his signature smile. He really did look like Prince Charming.

"You look really pretty," he complimented me on my navy polka dot dress.

"Thanks, you look pretty too," I paused awkwardly, making him chuckle.

Is it alright to call a guy pretty? I mean, there's nothing wrong with a pretty boy, right? Right, I consoled myself.

When we entered the dining room, Chris and Micah were already seated by the table next to each other, waiting for dinner to be served. Normally, I'd sit next to my brother. But today, I decided to sit beside my plus-one. Chris smiled at Nick with a nod and Nick returned the greeting. Micah was trapped in his own thoughts, his fingers intertwined and legs shaking restlessly. I could never guess what he was thinking about. Sometimes his existence was like an itch that I couldn't scratch.