Chapter 7 - Like Father, Like Daughter

If I could go back and tell myself one thing, it would be that Mark was never the real monster.

Micah's POV

It had been two weeks since the incident at Nick's party. Mark's face was plastered on every wall of the school under the bold red writing: Missing. He probably skipped town like I told him to and didn't tell his parents because he was ashamed of what he did.

"Should I ask Cameron out?" Nick asked, leaning against the lockers, "Do you think she likes me?"

The more I saw them together, the more it hurt. It was as if I was watching her walk away from me and I was held captive by a ball and chain, like I couldn't do anything to chase after her and pull her back into my arms. The chains on our wrists that were supposed to bound us together became insignificant pieces of jewelry that we still held on to, clinging on to the last threads of a childhood relationship. There was a sense of disappointment between the both of us. We waited ten years for each other and yet, we were growing more and more distant. Doesn't absence make the heart grow fonder? Why was it doing the opposite? The timing wasn't right for us to be together, but it would be selfish of me to ask her to wait for me. She was better off without me.

I sighed lightly, "Absolutely. Have you ever met a girl that has turned a blind eye to your charms? Also, she thinks of you as her hero."

"I still don't understand why you lied to her about that," he said, "She deserves to know who really saved her that night."

"I don't want her thinking we have a chance at being friends for now," I replied as I took out my books for class, "You know Lana would do anything to hurt her out of jealousy. And the incident at your party proved it."

"But-"

"Micah Beaumont, please report to the principal's office immediately," a low voice from the intercom sounded throughout the hallway, "Micah Beaumont to the principal's office immediately."

Nick and I exchanged a confused look and the other students' mocking gaze directed towards me as I walked past them towards Mr Mason's office. What did he want with me? All possible reasons ran through my mind and I feared that maybe he figured that I was trying to dig up his secrets and unveil all his wrongdoings. If I wasn't careful, he could undoubtedly have me gone. On the other hand, it could be something as simple as inviting me to dinner and I could just be overthinking it. But would he really call for me through the intercom if it was as straightforward as that?

I knocked confidently on his towering wooden door before opening it. The creaking noise sent chills down my spine and I shivered at the dark and eerie atmosphere in the room where the thick curtains were drawn, but some light peeked in through the cracks. His office was much bigger than a standard sized classroom. Filing cabinets and wall length bookshelves occupied most of the empty space and his desk stretched for about seven feet in the center of the room. He was sat at his spacious desk on a leather swivel chair with his daughter standing beside him. Both displayed a smug look on their faces. Like father, like daughter.

"Micah," he called and stretched out his arms, "How are you? Come, have a seat."

My face remained emotionless as I walked up to sit across from him. I had a bad feeling in my gut but I didn't let it show.

"Have I done something wrong?" I asked.

"Well, I know you didn't," he replied and leaned back into his seat, intertwining his fingers together, "I can't say the same for the police though."