Chapter 39

10 mins later, I was still searching for Amy. I was beginning to worry.

''Maybe she's not coming?'' Will suggested.

'' She would have told me.'' I said.

'' Let's go to the dance floor. If Amy shows up, we'll see her come in.''

'' Good idea.''

This isn't the ideal place to confess, but it's as private as it's gonna get.

'' I don't know how you girls walk in those shoes, let alone dance in them.'' Will smirked.

'' *Just barely*!That's how. I might have to amputate a toe after tonight!''

'' They look great. But if you want to kick them off and give your feet a break, I won't judge.''

'' That might be the sweetest thing a guy says tonight, but I'm gonna soldier through it.''

'' Are you trying to get a foot rub out of me, Payne?''

'' Are you offering?''

Here goes...

'' I love this song!'' He suddenly exclaimed.

Well I don't wanna ruin it for him. I'll definitely tell him *after* this song. Definitely.

'' Hey I could use some fresh air. How do you feel sneaking up to the roof with me?'' Will asked.

'' What about your song?'' I asked.

'' We can hear it from up there. Beautiful view of the city.. great music... what do you say?''

'' As romantic as it sounds, I'd hate to sneak up there and find out we missed some absolutely unmissable moments of prom.''

'' Hmm, very true. May I have this dance?''

'' I didn't know people actually said that.''

'' Super suave chivalrous people do, yes.''

'' Then yes! You may have this dance.''

In between dancing to the beautiful soulful song,we occasionally exchanged smiles and pecks.

'' Hey, Ash? I wanted to ask you something.''

'' Okay.''

'' I know it really sucked for you to leave your old school and come here.... and it's kind of selfish for me to say but..... I'm really glad you did.''

'' Me too. There was no you at the old school.''

'' So I was wondering, will you be my......''

Just then, RIGHT at that moment I heard Amy scream at someone.

'' You've *got* to be KIDDING me!!!!!!''

That doesn't sound good.

'' What do you mean you can't make it?? This is my prom, Aaron!!!!!!'' She yelled on her phone.

Holy schintzel! Was Will about to ask me to be his girlfriend???? But I HAD to go to Amy's rescue.

'' Hold that thought. I need to jump in there.'' I said.

'' Yeah, ofcourse.''

'' Aaron you promised to be here!!! You promised...'' before Amy could finish the sentence I asked her to hand the phone to me.

'' What are you going to.....'' She sobbed, as I assured her to trust me.

'' Aaron?'' I spoke.

'' Who is this?'' He spoke from the other end.

'' It's Ashley. I know you're in college and a high school dance may not be a priority. But this isn't just any dance. It's prom!'' I yelled.

'' Can you please put Amy back on?'' He spoke as I ignored him, '' Do you have any idea how lucky you are to be with her??''

'' Yes I do, but....'' I cut him off, '' She deserves better!!''

'' Here.'' I handed Amy back the phone.

'' Aaron I'm gonna go.''

'' Amy wait! Amy... Amy?!''

'' This really blows. I'm so sorry. Come dance with us.'' I tried to console her.

'' Thanks Ashley, but I need some fresh air.''

'' Do you want me to come with you?''

'' No I need a second to cool off. Both figuratively and literally.''

'' That was really badass of you.'' Will said.

'' I'm really protection of my friends. It got me heated.''

'' Then let me get you some ice cold punch, hot stuff.''