Having Fun While on the Run

Running in heels is probably the hardest thing to do for a girl. You know, besides running for your life.

I really don't know how it got here, but here I am, running away from my own pet. Scorch, my green fireball dragon, was, sure enough, flying above my head with her eyes shimmering black, ready to kill me. Thanks, Dad. You know, this is the best birthday gift ever.

Ugh! It's the stupid curse again! Ever since my sixteenth birthday, it's been getting on my nerves. 

But of course, I couldn't say that to my father. I wanted to, but the curse had muffled all of my thoughts with these stupid artificial ones. 

These kinds of things ran through my mind as I ran from my precious pet flying above me. I swatted tree branches and bush thorns from my face just as I entered the orangeish-brown hue of woods. I swept right with the woosh of a green fireball landing in the leaves at my left. Shielding my head, I heard my friends yelling behind me.

"Run, Meep!" One yelled.

"Don't look back!" Another shouted.

"Keep your head low!" The last screams.

I was already doing all three, why would they need to tell me so? I ignored their yells and ducked into a hollow tree, trying to capture my breath. With my heart threatening to beat out of my chest, I tried to calm my breath, feeling the ground rumble and knowing that Scorch had landed on the grass behind the hollow tree. Holding my raging breath, I fumbled into my carrier's bag around my shoulder and clawed out my spell book.

Wait. This isn't right.

If I know anything, the most important rule in our whole world was to start the tale at the beginning. It's probably the only rule that I have ever listened to. Of course, I'm not listening to that rule right now. It's most likely best to start at the very beginning.