Just a Little Crush

I was thinking of changing the book cover, please comment what you think.

----

"You're just an 11 year old girl and you want to spar with me?" A teenage boy wolf asks.

"Eric, says you could teach me a few things, he wants to make sure I can defend myself," Ellie responds.

"Don't worry, Elijah. I know you won't hurt her," I reassure him. He nods in response, obviously worried he's going to injure her. They start to walk in a circle while I watch from a distance so I don't distract, Ellie. I'm a bit worried that Ellie's going to get hurt but from teaching her a few things about when you verse someone bigger than you, I'm sure she'll be fine. I get distracted from another sparing match that I stop watching, Elijah and Ellie's.

A shout of pain can be heard in the direction of the pair, but I can't see anything since there's heaps of people crowding them. I run over and push myself through the crowd. What I saw, was not what I was expecting. Ellie was sitting on Elijah's back pulling his arm across his body. Everyone was in shock that she took down a well trained warrior wolf. Eventually Elijah taps out, Ellie seems happy with her triumph.

I never taught her to do any of that stuff.

That girl has some skeletons in her closet, Eric.

We finally agree on something.

I taught her how to dodge and escape a fight but not how to take down anyone with that much power or technique.

I grab Ellie's wrist and pull her inside the pack house into the closest room, which is the lounge room. I kneel down in front of her and hold her hands.

"You might need to start telling me some stuff," I explain, "for example how an 11 year old with barley any training can take down a wolf, to the point where he can't fight back."

"Lucky shot," she defends.

"So if I talked to Elijah right now, he would tell me everyone of your shots where lucky?" Ellie doesn't respond but she doesn't look away either, "do you know what I think, I think your keeping secrets: about your scares, your strength, where you were before I found you and last but not least who your parents are."

"U-h, honestly don't no. I don't remember much since it was long ago, I just remember lots of white, needles and people in lab coats. T-hats all I promise," she stutters on the verge of tears. I don't do anything to console her, I get up and make my way to the spare bedroom.

"Where leaving in 10 minutes get your stuff packed," I slightly turn my head to make sure she heard me. She just nods and heads to her own room hastily.

----

Where back on the road now and where heading back to Henry's, maybe he can make sense of everything.

"Your birthday is coming up soon isn't it?" Ellie asks, while turning down the volume of the radio, breaking the awkward silence.

"It is."

"How old are you turning?"

"227,"

"Oh... I might not have enough birthday candles for that," she jokes. Usually a joke like that would make me chuckle, but now... I can't find it in me to laugh. Ellie doesn't try to cover up the fact that she's slightly hindered by the fact I didn't even acknowledge her.