5: New Orleans

i'm so sorry this chapter is so long. i had to add some stuff to it.

on the other hand, i literally just saw now you see me 2 and wow, it's so good i want to scream.

I WAITED THREE YEARS FOR THIS MOVIE AND IF THERE'S GOING TO BE ANOTHER ONE, I DON'T WANT TO WAIT ANOTHER THREE MORE. MY HEART LONGS FOR THIS FRANCHISE THAT I CAN'T HANDLE MYSELF.

:)

---

We all sit in the greenroom, waiting to go on stage for our show in New Orleans. Tonight is the night where we fend for ourselves, exposing Arthur for what he's done and officially become wanted people with good reason. It is for this reason that my nerves are beyond what they usually are, but the other horsemen seem so relaxed as if tonight isn't a big deal. It is for this reason that I have to force myself to act calm even though I am practically sick to my stomach with excitement—kind of like the day I met these guys.

"Do me a favor," Merritt says to Henley, sitting next to her. "Visualize your most adventurous sexual experience."

I scrunch my brows and laugh as Jack takes a seat next to me. "Your tricks get stranger every day."

"It's not a trick. It's an important demand that I need answered by Henley. I'd really love it if she opened up to me more."

"Are you saying your tricks aren't important?" Jack asks, putting his arm around me only to lay it on the couch's backrest. I allow it, only because this conversation has gained my complete interest and Jack's actions aren't completely obvious.

"You got me there, Wilder." Merritt laughs.

"Stay out of my head, you perv," Henley says with a look of disgust, though we all know she wants to laugh at his ridiculousness.

"Ah, well no. If I stay out of your head, I'm never gonna get into your pants," Merritt explains, making me laugh even harder than I did before. I look over to Jack and see a huge smile on his face that makes my heart melt. It's been a year and I still can't get over his charm.

"Pardon the intrusion." I look up to see Thaddeus Bradley standing in the room. This guy has a lot of nerve showing up to one of our shows when we're all aware of his intentions. "Just wanted to wish you good luck tonight."

"What, so you can try to expose us on your little website?" Jack questions, obviously annoyed as much as the next person, which so happens to be me. Thaddeus is known for debunking magicians, and I have no doubt that he's already attempted to ruin our careers by exposing us to the FBI.

"And on demand." Thaddeus nods.

"I don't believe you heard what Jack said. You can try to expose us. Keyword: try. As in, not going to," I say, crossing my arms.

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen," Henley adds, finding the situation humorous.

"Oh no? Operating on a special plane because of the Eye?"

What? His words render me puzzled. How does he know about the Eye? Why does he know about the Eye?

"I hear it's a lovely place," he continues. "Lots of starshine, moonbeams—make any magician's wish come true. You've come a long way. Much farther than anyone would have expected of a bunch of wannabes and has-beens."

I stand up immediately, frustrated with this man already. "I am really getting tired of you."

I stare at him, my nostrils fuming as I watch his eyes widen and his jaw lower. Just when I'm about to tell him to leave and find a different line of work, he gains his regular facial expression back and begins to laugh.