xvii. hold the darkness

It'll be our little secret

It'll be our little secret . . .

Spencer grit his teeth. No! Push it back! Push. It. Back! With a shake of his head, he tightened his grip around the gun shoved in Sutton's mouth, muffling her cries. It was no use. The only way to get rid of the memories were to get rid of her! Spencer glared down at Sutton, his cold eyes glinting. But he wasn't seeing Sutton, all he could see or hear was her. Amy. And the more he thought about her, the angrier he got.

He desperately shook his head to shoo away the unwanted memories. But it was as useless as a submarine with screen doors.

Exasperated, he shoved the gun further.

Sutton's eyes snapped open. Fear swimming in her welled up tears. With his tone incensed, Spencer ground out, "I'm going to enjoy this." Like a promise.

Burning tears streamed down Sutton's face. She whimpered, trembling uncontrollably beneath him, terrified to do anything—even breath. The fear was paralyzing.

Spencer pulled the trigger, and in the split second of action, he was tackled. The force sent him slamming against the railing so hard, it cracked under pressure and broke as the gun went off. The sudden, loud explosion sent a gust of wind that forced its way into Sutton's ear. Her jaw fell open, trying to relieve the immediate pain as her eyes screwed shut. A loud ringing buzzed in her ear with the booming, pulsing pressure. And then everything went black . . .

Spencer crashed against the graveled ground with so much force, the wind knocked clean out of him, leaving his lunges like a ghost town. His head smacked against the unforgiving surface so hard, his vision momentarily gave, and pain shot up and down his spine. Spencer heaved in agony as he struggled to prop himself on his elbows, his body reeling from the high fall. Crickets sang in the distance, completely undisturbed. The sound of rustling leaves filled the empty night. What the hell just happened?

Spencer peered around and found Colton, bloody and abused, rolling off his back onto his hands and knees. An audible moan slipped from between his busted lips. His face was battered. One of his eyes bloodshot and swollen. Jesus Christ, what happened to him?

When the two locked eyes, they both froze like statues. Out the corner of Spencer's gaze, he could see the gun laying perfectly still. He could reach it. But then again, so could Colton.

Colton must have noticed too because, without warning, he lunged right for it.

Quickly, Spencer took a handful of gravel and threw it in Colton's face to delay him. His heart pounded with adrenaline, and distant memories of Clyde pitting them against each other as children flooded back and consumed him. Colton hissed and recoiled from the shards of rock that pieced his eye, turning away with a vile curse. Spencer took the opportunity and shuffled for the gun. But just as his hand met the cold metal, Colton's fist collided with his face.