Chapter 7: Uncomfortable Human Interaction

Chapter 7:

Dan took me over to a shop with a cover over the front, so I wouldn't get wet anymore. He didn't talk as he unzipped my jacket, took it off and exchanged it for his cozy black one. I sat on a chair quietly and didn't make eye contact, so I wouldn't get distracted. He sat down next to me and sighed. Why is he being so nice if he didn't want to see me again? He could have just walked off. He probably felt bad, I thought. I felt his eyes looking at me and looked up. He looked guilty and sad. I stared at him, and he stared at me, and we just stared into each others eyes for a while.

"What?" I said after an eternity of shamelessly staring at him. He shrugged and broke the uncomfortable stare finally. A few cars hissed past. "I'm sorry." he said after a while. I wasn't exactly sure what he meant, but I was pretty sure it was leading up to him talking about how he didn't actually like me that much and he felt bad, so I just sat there. More cars hissed past. He looked up at me expectantly. I looked up at him expectantly. This was the most uncomfortable human interaction I've ever had.

"Okay, so I didn't know what to do because I didn't want to screw things up!" he blurted out. "So I didn't do anything. I just sat there staring at my phone, hoping you would do something." He continued. "Oh." I said quietly, kind of ashamed. He sighed again. I gave him a weak smile. "So..." I started, "Can we just start over?" "I promise I won't be a dickhead this time." He finished for me. I smiled, "Alright." He grinned, "Alright."

Finally, it wasn't so tense. I almost felt comfortable again. "By the way you look terrible. What happened?" He spoke comfortably too. I smiled, "Not a great way to start over, Dan." I told him. "Oh yeah, sorry." I told him the story of how I decided to take a walk and ended up getting lost, leaving out the parts about Mimi and PJ. When I was done, he offered to take me to his flat, which I gladly accepted because I had no idea what to do.

We ended up catching a bus that would take us there. "Its not too far." he told me. He sat so close to me, I could feel the heat radiating off his body. Dan and I were quiet the whole bus ride. We ended up stopping at a building and took a lift to the floor he lived on. "Oh yeah, my flat mate Phil might be here, so don't be alarmed." he warned me before the turned the handle to his door. "Phil?!" he called, once we were inside. "Phil?! You home?" he shouted again. "Guess he's not here." He said when there was no response.

He took a look at my soaking body inside his coat, that was too long for my torso. "So..." He said. I looked down at my body as well. I looked like a drowned cat. "One second. Stay right there." he told me before he ran off to what I assumed was his bedroom. He came back with a black tee shirt and a pair of sweatpants. "Um, I think these are the smallest clothes I own." he said holding them up to me. I took them. He scratched his head nervously. "So if you want to take a shower, you can. The bathroom is right down the hall." He pointed in the direction of the bathroom. "Oh, alright. Thanks." I tried to sound pleased once I figured out how uncomfortable I must've been making him.

I walked into the bathroom and set down the clothes he handed me on the counter. "Oh, let me show you how the shower controls work, it's kind of complicated if you don't know how." He demonstrated how to turn the hot and cold water on and off. "Also there is a hair dryer in the cupboard if you want to use that." I thanked him and made sure the door was completely closed once he had left. I peeled off my clothes and stepped into the steamy shower. I sighed happily as the hot water heated up my body. I tried to wipe my make up off so I wouldn't look like a raccoon.

Once I was done, I dried myself, put Dan's clothes on, keeping my undergarments, and put my hair up in the towel. I looked at myself in the mirror. Dan's shirt almost fit, but his sweats were so long, they were covering my feet. I rolled them up a bit and tightened the waistband. I blow-dried my hair for a bit, trying to make it as straight as possible, but it just couldn't be tamed.

I looked at my body that filled in Dan's clothes, but were way too long, and sighed. Then, I looked at the poofy mess that was my hair. I sighed again. Well, it wasn't gonna get any better.

I nervously stepped out of the bathroom on my tiptoes with my bundle of wet clothes. I silently walked down the hallway, making my way to the living room. Suddenly a door to what I assumed was a bedroom opened up, "Hey, want me to take your-" he looked at my hair and giggled. Ugh. I covered my head with my hands.

"Haha your hair is curly."

"Yeah, so?" I snapped, defensively.

"So is mine."

I took my hands away from my head.

"It is?"

"Yeah, see look," He pointed at his hair, which was starting to curl slightly because of the rain.

"Oh."

He smirked and I smiled, relieved that he felt my pain.

"So, can I dry your clothes for you?" He asked putting his hands out.

"Oh, um, sure." I said as I plopped my sopping clothes into his hands.

I sat in his couch as I waited for him to come back to the living room. I heard a drying machine start somewhere and then he joined me on the sofa. "So.." He said awkwardly. "So..." I responded. It was starting to get uncomfortable again. We looked at each other and started laughing at each other's awkwardness. It warmed up again.

"So you like video games right?" He questioned. "Yeah." I responded. He walked over to his TV and picked up a video game case. "Ocarina of Time?" he asked me. I grinned, "Hell yeah!"

+++++

+Wow, I suck so much. I literally haven't updated in 2 months. So uhh sorry about that, I was uhhh... doing schoolwork, yeah, that's what happened. So I'll try to continue with this story as often as I can, but I honestly have no idea where I'm going with it, lol. Comment if you have any suggestions and vote because it boosts my motivation.+

+Oh also, user 1D_hold me, if you're reading this, I dedicated this chapter to you because I probably never would've posted this chapter if it wasn't for your comment+