Chapter 3

She woke to Matt, the curly headed one, shaking her. His face right up to hers. She blinked herself awake and smiled seeing him so close. She bit her lip, which she probably shouldn't have done, but it was either that or grin like a fool. Matt, she had decided, was cute.

"Hey," he said softly, his voice was gravelly. "Sorry to wake you."

"Hmm? Oh," she said and nodded slightly. Her stomach flipped hearing his voice.

"We've docked for a while," he said. "We have a delivery, then we'll go home."

"Home?" she asked. She moaned and made to sit up. She swayed on the bed. She wasn't feeling all that well, but that was to be expected, considering the day she'd had so far.

"Yeah, my home," he said and put out a staying hand. "You should stay here and rest."

She nodded a bit, as much as her head would allow. "You're taking me to your home?" she asked.

"Our home, my family," he explained, he spoke in low tones, but his voice was still gravelly. "My brothers are here on the boat. We're going to make our delivery and we'll be back soon. Okay?"

"Oh, okay," she said and nodded a bit.

"I just wanted to tell you we'll be off ship for a little while," he said. "In case you wake up and find us gone. We haven't left you, or anything." He smiled a wide beautiful smile, then. She couldn't help but return it as much as she could.

"Oh, right," she said and lay back down and closed her eyes.

"Here's this for your throat," he said and she felt something cold being laid on her skin.

"What is it?" she croaked.

"More ice," he said.

"Oh," she whispered and sighed.

"We'll be back before you know it."

"Okay," she said and smiled. She felt him brush a strand of hair from her face. Then she heard the door close a moment later.

When she woke again, it was to Matt shifting her to a sitting position in the bunk.

"Wha?" she asked and looked around as he propped her up against the side.

"We're here," he said.

"Here?" she whispered and frowned a bit. She found that whispering was the only way she could speak without her throat hurting.

"Home," he said and smiled up at her. "I'm going to put you in some dry clothes, so we can go ashore."

"Oh," she said and nodded slightly. Slowly she was gaining her head, it didn't swim as much as it had.

"It's cold out there," he said. "We have maybe an hour and it's going to snow."

"Snow," she said softly and nodded again. She watched as he unfurled a pair of jeans.

"I think these will fit," he said. "Might be a little tight."

He bent in front of her and held the jeans open for her. She stuck one foot in and he pulled the pant leg up, she wiggled her foot. He chuckled. Then he did the same thing for the other foot.

He helped her to stand and pulled the jeans up. "Can you do that?" he asked, indicating the fly of the jeans. She nodded and fastened them while he got another, warmer shirt for her. Long sleeves. Then a brown flannel shirt that he buttoned for her. Next was a jacket.

"Sit, so I can put these boots on you," he said. She complied and stuck out a foot again. He grinned up at her as he wiggled the boot onto her foot and tied it. Then repeat for the other foot. "Your shoes are too wet. But these are probably too big."