Chapter 14

She looked back over her shoulder at the Integrity docked out in the water not too far from shore. She frowned. "Is it safe out there?" she asked Matt softly as they followed the group down the pier.

"Sure, it'll be fine," he said and rubbed her back as they walked. "As long as someone brought the keys."

"I forgot the keys!" Bear said loudly.

"You sure did, boy," Billy said and patted his pocket. Everyone laughed.

"Do you think they'll be home?" Ami said to Billy as they stepped off the dock and headed to the road.

"If not, we'll just look for them," Billy replied. "They never leave Angoon."

And sure enough, the husband and wife couple were home. They were all smiles and hugs as they greeted the Brown clan into their home.

"We're just getting lunch on," Mr. Cooper, Bert, said. He frowned and glanced at his wife.

"We don't have much, but you're welcome to it," Mrs. Cooper, Helen, said. "Ami, would you help me?"

Ami nodded. "Of course," she said. Bert had already turned to Billy and they were beginning to spin tales.

"Girls, come help," Ami said from the kitchen doorway. Rainy and Birdy stood. Sunny was unsure, but when Ami looked at her and motioned with her head, she nodded and followed them all into the kitchen.

The girls had been gone a very long time, it seemed. And Matt would rather have taken Sunny outside rather than having to sit on the couch and listen to his father and Mr. Cooper rehash old times. He stifled a sigh and turned his face to the kitchen door, hoping to catch a glimpse of her.

"Mmm, something smells good," Gabe said from beside him on the couch, it effectively brought Matt from his musings.

Matt had noticed the smell, but hadn't said anything. He nodded now, agreeing.

"Mom's the best cook ever," Bear mused from the floor in front of the couch. There wasn't much seating in the room, and every spot was filled with the butts of his brothers. Bear elected to sit on the floor.

It wasn't too much longer before Rainy came into the open dinning room and living room area with a folding card table, Matt took his opportunity and jumped up to help. Rainy smiled her thanks and left him to the table, going back into the kitchen.

She came back out with two folding chairs, followed by Sunny with two more folding chairs. They got the folding furniture set up, but they realized there was a problem.

"There's no room," Birdy said and frowned.

"We'll need to move the big table over," Matt said. Birdy nodded and the four of them moved the table over a couple of feet to make room.

"Is it almost ready?" Bear called. "I'm starving."

"Almost," Birdy replied over her shoulder. Mom came out then with two large pitchers, one of tea and one of lemonade, Matt intercepted them and set them on the table. Then Mrs. Cooper came with a tray of glasses that Rainy helped to set around the tables.

Sunny came back out of the kitchen with a platter of biscuits. She cast a glance at him and smiled. His heart melted and he returned the smile.

Taking a chance, Matt followed Sunny when she went back into the kitchen. Mom and Mrs. Cooper looked up from their tasks and smiled.