Chapter 5

Demi sat on the couch at Sterling's place, snuggled into his chest. They were having a relaxing day, just being with each other and watching TV. She and Joe had been hanging out a lot more now, building their relationship up again. The paparazzi weren't onto Joe as much, so they were able to go to some public places. Sterling was flipping through channels. While he was flipping through, he heard "...Jonas and Demi Lovato were spotted-". He immediately went back a few channels, where the announcer was saying, "They were out together at the Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt store. Are these two ex-lovers friends again? Or are they something more?" Sterling looked at Demi, raising an eyebrow.

She sighed in response. "Sterling, I know that you and Joe didn't get along. We talked about what happened back then and we're gonna try being friends again."

"I don't like this idea. What if he hurts you again? What if he wants to get together with you again?"

'Well, we almost kissed,' Demi thought. Aloud she told him, "It's okay, baby. You have nothing to worry about, and he knows we're together. He also knows we've been together for over a year and a love you very much." She leaned up and gave him a quick, sweet kiss.

He smiled. "All right, as long as he doesn't try anything stupid."

She giggled. "He won't."

Later that day, Demi was at her house, on the phone with Joe. "You know tabloids are talking about us."

"What about us?" he asked, taking a bite into an apple.

"Oh, you know, what would have been expected; if we're friends or dating again. They found us at Orange Leaf."

He sighed. "Does Sterling know?"

"Yes, but I assured him nothing will happen and we've worked everything out."

"Good, cause the last thing we need is a boyfriend who doesn't approve of your best friend." Joe chuckled.

Demi couldn't help but giggle a bit. "Whatever, Joe. Hey, I have to get going. I have another meeting."

"All right, I'll see you soon, bye." Joe hung up and ate the rest of his apple.

"Joe, what's this about?" Nick walked in holding up a magazine article. A picture of him and Demi from the other day was on the side.

"What do you mean? We were just having yogurt." He asked innocently.

"Since when were you and DEMI friends again?"

"Look, Nick, we worked things out and now we're friends again."

"Joe, if this is what one your games, it's too late. She has a-"

"Yes, Nick. I'm fully aware she has a boyfriend. And yes, I know it's Knight." He said gritting his teeth a bit. "but if you think for one second I'm trying to play games with Demi, you're dead wrong. You and I both know I love Demi more than anything, and I would do anything for her. If that means she's with Sterling and I should be happy for her, I will be. If that means the most we can be is best friends, that's okay with me. I'll even be friends with Sterling if that's what she wants me to do. I screwed up really bad back then, and I'd be a dumb ass to do it again. I've wanted to make things right for so long and now I have the chance." Joe had now put the apple down. His eyes were pleading for his brother to understand. If everyone else in the world didn't believe his intentions, Nick would.

After a few moments of silence, Nick sighed. "Fine, Joe. I believe you."