Chapter 1

Martin POV

Everyday, I wake up hoping things would be different, it's not that I'm not grateful for the life I've got its just... Sometimes it gets a little too much to be under so much pressure, I mean I'm only human.

I'm Martijn Gerard Garritsen, also known famously as 'Martin Garrix'. I'm from Amstelveen which is located in the Netherlands. Not many people have heard of Amdtelveen, but I wouldn't want anywhere else to be considered home. Id do anything to still be there, but now I'm based in Los Angeles, one of the most self centred places to be. LA is considered the 'capital' of fame, I beg to differ. This whole fame thing was cool at first, meaning the first 3 years... When I was 17.. But now? Now I just want to live my life as a normal 20 year old.

Being an EDM artist does have its advantages I admit, I mean I get to travel to some amazing places all over the world, the only downside being I'm never in one place longer than 2 days, which means I never have the opportunity to explore, which honestly sucks.

My parents always wanted me to follow my dreams from the very start, and honestly, I thought music was how it was always going to be. When I was 8 I got my very first guitar, which I fell in love with instantly, it was very rare that you would see me without it.

But now? Now it's all about EDM, which is electronic dance music. And don't get me wrong, this music is so hype and gives you such an adrenaline rush, but recently, my music hasn't had the effect it used to have on me. I feel as if my spark towards music is slowly fading.

"Martijn!" My mother shouts from the bottom of the corridor.

"What?!" I shout back questioningly

I sit back in my chair facing the ceiling, waiting for a counter response.

"What?!" I shout again, hoping that my mother would hear me the second time.

Of course she didn't hear me. I sigh before locking my computer and getting up to head down the corridor to see what my mother wanted.

As I open my temporary bedroom door within the apartment  I look both ways to see if I could spot my mother. Instead my father appears out of another door within the apartment.

"Martijn, your mother is looking for you" he says simply

I nod before continuing to walk down the hallway to try and find her.

I walk to the end of the corridor to find my mother sitting at the island in the kitchen.  I look at her before she glances at me, and then the chair. I take the hint and I sit down in the chair opposite her on the island.

"You called?" I say with a quite annoyed tone.

I hate when parents call you and never answer, in which you've gotta move just to see what they want.

" yes I did Martijn" she says before taking a sip of her coffee

Well is she going to tell me? Or is she just going to sit there staring blankly at me?

"About?" I say trying to get her to continue speaking

She puts down her coffee and smiles at me.

"Martijn sweetie, remember you're playing at Ultra Miami this weekend" she says smiling once again

I sigh, I'd usually be so up for being part of a huge festival like ultra, but part of me says my heart isn't in the music as much as it used to be.

I hide the fact from my mother, because the last thing I want to do is disappoint her or my father.

"Awesome" I say with a fake smile before sliding off the island chair.

"Pack your stuff soon baby, we're leaving tomorrow night" I nod before tuning around to make my way back down the corridor.

So many thoughts are going through my head. I shake them off as my parents and the fans happiness means much more than my own. I open my bedroom door and I sit back in my chair I was in before my mother called.

I open my computer and then put the code in to unlock it. Before me appears my mixing application, that I create all my music on. Currently on screen is a new song I'm working on called 'oops'.

I click the play button to listen to the song so far, it's good. But it's not 'great'. I tweak a few parts of the song until I'm satisfied with the overall result. It's not my best work, but it'll have to do as I'm working to a tight deadline with ultra coming up in a few days.

I glance over to my suitcase and sigh before standing up to collect some things I'll need to take with me to Miami.

'Do you really want this martin?'

Sooo that's the first chapter! I hope you all like this book, I have a feeling I can make this into something pretty amazing.

I'll update again soon :)

~Em