Story in 1st person pov/3rd person omnicient

My name is Adrian. I am on a mission to go to Mars.

"Are you guys okay?" Caesar asked all of us.

"Peachy, Caesar," Caitlyn responded. She seemed to be breathing heavily. I think she might be having a panic attack.

"You don't sound so peachy, Cait," Ash said, speaking what I was thinking.

"I'll be fine, just a little nervous is all," Caitlyn replied. She isn't the only one, I'm sure we all are nervous, so I voice this thought.

"I think we all are." I say staring at Caitlyn.

After that we all quieted down, waiting for the lift off. We only talk to report stats to each other and mission control.

Shortly after we take off.

~~~~~~three months later~~~~~~

We are about halfway to Mars. The entire trip takes about six months. Then we have to stay there for about 18-20 months to wait for Earth and Mars to line up.

I'm getting kinda tired of everyone. Every so often they make up scenarios about the surface, and it bugs me because in some they mention mysterious creatures. All of the probes and rovers have shown that there is no life on Mars, the atmosphere cannot sustain life, and the surface is a barren wasteland. This mission is pointless, but since I was a child I have wanted to be an astronaut, so I took up the opportunity.

I am aware of the part of me that says maybe the rovers and probes were wrong, but I can't listen to that part, I need to listen to the part that listens to the facts.

~~~~~three months later~~~~~

We have entered Mars' orbit.

The others are debating if they want to land now or wait a while and send out a couple more probes to make sure it is a habitable area...none of Mars is really habitable. The entire time we are outside of the ship we will have to wear our suits so that we can breath...and if something were to happen to the ship....that would not be good.

I hear them mention something about the surface and what the would find, and I reminded them for what seemed like the millionth time in the last six months, that the probes show there is no life on the planet.

We decide to land the ship today.

We all take our positions and try to land the ship, but then something malfunctions and we are plummeting toward the surface.

I don't remember much of what happened after that.

I just know we leveled out the ship and slowed it down enough to crash land the ship with minimal damage.

The ship is fine. We are fine. We are alive.

I look at Ash and ask what we should do. He unbuckles himself and gets up.

"We should probably make sure there are no breaches in the haul," he says. "Adrian, sweetie, would you be a doll and run a diagnostics on the ship, make sure everything is all right?"

I glare at him. "Yeah sure, I can be a doll," I say.

I start the diagnostics and there don't seem to be any breaches to the haul.

"Everything seems fine, so unless the equipment is damaged, then we should be just fine."

"Oooh, can I go collect some samples from outside," Caitlyn asks excitedly. "If you don't need my help in here that is."

We all decided to bring supplies outside and do some tests.

I decided to turn around, and I saw something moving toward us.

"Hey guys...." I say as I turn toward my crew members.

There were four astronauts. They were being sent on a mission to Mars.

They boarded the ship, and it was shown on national television. This was a momentous occasion. Never before has anyone gone to Mars.

The crew members got strapped in and waited for take off.

"Are you guys okay," Caesar asked the other three crew members.

"Peachy, Caeser," Caitlyn responded while breathing deeply to calm herself.

"You don't sound so peachy, Cait," Ash said to her realizing that she was breathing deeply.

"I'll be fine, just a little nervous is all," Caitlyn replied.

"I think we all are," Adrian said.

They all quieted down, and only spoke for purposes of the mission, after all, they would have almost two and a half years together. The ship began to take off.

~~~~~~six months later~~~~~~

The crew was in the orbit of Mars. They decided to land. They would spend the next 18 months on the planet. They were excited but scared of what they would find on the surface. According to all of the probes there was no life on the surface, a fact that Adrian kept pointing out to the others.

They finally decided to land, but as they were landing something went wrong.

They lost control of the ship and started falling toward the surface of the planet.

They slowed down the ship enough to make a crash landing that didn't kill them.

A few hours later they got everything out of the crashed ship that they needed to.

Adrian looked to the south.

"Hey guys....." Adrian said. "What is that over there...?"

They all looked to the south. There was a mysterious creature.....or....something in the distance. It seemed to be moving toward them. They all became nervous.

"It could just be one of the rovers....." Adrian said as the thing moved closer. "After all....everything has said that there is no life on Mars."

"There weren't any rovers within miles of the spot we were landing.." Ash stated.

"We could have been knocked off course though," said Adrian.

"What if the probes were wrong...?" Caesar asked wearily.

"Oh come on, you guys have watched too many movies about Mars," Adrian retorted.

"Guys....um.....shouldn't we kinda do something?" Ash asks.