iii. Uncomfortable

The next morning, Declan was the first to wake up. He opened his eyes slowly and then immediately regretted it; his head was banging. He lifted his hand up to his forehead and rubbed his temple repeatedly, wanting to relieve the tension.

It took his a few moments, however, to take notice of the position he was sleeping in. When his eyes lowered to his stomach, he saw a forearm -a hairy one- hugging him from the front, and a clothed leg tangled with his. He freaked out at first, and when he turned his head to look at his best friend; he found that Ant, too, had the same horrified expression on his face.

On top of it all, Ant was starting to get really uncomfortable with their position, not only because of the closeness, but also because of the tightness in his jeans that was gradually developing.

"I, uh... G-Good morning, i guess," greeted Ant nervously, his voice raspy, a small smile playing on his lips.

"I guess it is," awkwardly laughed Dec, running a hand through his hair. He noticed that both him and Ant were still in their jeans from the night before, and he noticed something was off with the way his best friend looked at him.

"What's wrong, Ant?" asked Dec worriedly, sensing he already knew the answer. However, when he saw Ant break eye contact with him while shifting uncomfortably, his gaze accidentally wandered to the exact area it shouldn't have wandered to, and to say he was surprised would be an understatement.

"Nothing, mate, don't wor-"

"Oh me God, Ant, is that ... a boner?" exclaimed Dec, looking straight at the prominent bulge in his best friend's trousers.

"I- What? No! I can explain man; I thought you were Lisa before I opened me eyes, I didn't register at first that it was you i was, uh, cuddling with," exclaimed Ant back, blushing furiously at the way his best friend blatantly asked the one question he had been dreading. "Can you please stop looking at my... well, you know? You're making me feel uncomfortable," he added, turning sideways.

"I... Aye, sorry man! I was just scared by what i saw, ya know, that is not a comfortable situation to be in. Glad that you got turned on because you thought it was Lisa, otherwise i'd be really freaked out. Anyways, I guess I'm just going to take a shower," he checked his watch, "We have to be at the airport in two hours!"

Dec got out of bed hurriedly and headed to the bathroom, leaving a very confused Ant behind. What the hell just happened? he thought to himself. He was quite surprised at what just took place, shocked, actually, at the idea of him getting hard for his best friend. Yes, he truly did think it was Lisa at first, because he was used to occasionally cuddling with her; but what was starting to distress him was the fact that he got even more turned on when he realized it was Dec, instead of getting completely turned off.

"Fuck," he muttered. He got up from the bed, opened his suitcase to pack his clothes so he could occupy himself. Anyways, he and Dec were taking off at twelve p.m. sharp, and it was already ten o'clock.

When Dec was finished with his shower, he got out of the bathroom and told Ant he was done, patting his shoulder.

*
When both men arrived at the airport, they had completely forgotten about the morning's quite awkward episode. They found the right gate, got on the plane, and got settled in their first class seats.

"I think I'm just gonna take a nap, I'm still exhausted," yawned Declan, snuggling into his seat and wrapping a blanket around himself.

"I'll wake you up when we get there like," murmured Ant into the shorter man's ear, ruffling his hair.

During the flight, Ant could not help but steal sideways glances at his best friend. A gnawing sensation overtook his senses every time he looked at Declan for too long, leaving the younger man feeling impossibly guilty.

He and Dec had always been the best of friends, for twenty six years now; but Ant always strangely felt something different in addition to the friendship, something quite close to Love, towards his best friend. But he always kept it quiet, for his fear of losing the most important person in the world to him was far too great.

Anthony kept silent for years, and eventually, his feelings were not a raging fire of emotions anymore. He controlled himself, talked himself out of falling for his best friend; and then he met Lisa. Lisa who was able to get his mind almost completely off of Declan whenever she was around. Ant noticed that Lisa was the only one who could make him forget about Declan when they were alone, and he eventually was able to love her.

They got married, and were quite happy with their life as a married couple; and for a couple of years, Anthony rarely thought about his feelings for Declan. Sure, on occasions his heart would beat faster than usual whenever he and his best friend exchanged an intimate hug, and his eyes would linger on Dec for a few more instants whenever the older Geordie was looking even better than usual, but he never felt something alarming.

But Love always overcomes anything. Four years into their marriage, Ant started feeling weird things again. He didn't know why, or how, or when, but whenever Declan was around him, Ant was not himself anymore. He was a better version of himself.

Declan was just too innocent, and smart, and funny; and the fact that they spent the majority of their time together was making it hard for him to not be helplessly attracted to the older Geordie.

Ant was interrupted from his deep thinking when he felt Dec moving in his seat, still asleep, turning to the other side, facing Ant completely now. Declan groaned in his sleep, looking down at something that was poking his stomach, seeing it was the seat separator.

"Here, Decks, let me help you," smiled Ant as he lifted the handle and positioned it firmly in between their seats.

However, sleeping Declan had other plans. As soon as there was no handle poking him, he rested his head completely on Anthony's shoulder; and his hand slid smoothly down from his own chest to rest on his best friend's thigh.

"Ali," Declan muttered sleepily, smiling innocently, his breath on Ant's neck.

Fuck, thought Ant. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck.

Declan's warm breath on Anthony's skin made goosebumps erupt all over his body. This was too much. Why did the Universe need to do this? Today was already awkward enough, considering this morning's very unfortunate episode, why did this have to happen?

"Great. Just great," muttered Ant angrily as he looked out the window and tried as hard as possible not to think about Declan's hand on his thigh.

I know, thought Dec, a mischievous smile tugging at his lips, as he inhaled deeply into Anthony's scent.

Declan, you naughty, naughty boy.