6

Fall Into Your Gravity – VI.

Harry does remember to send Louis a picture of the Alps, apparently taken from the inside of a high building, a ghostly reflection of Harry's face hinting at the windowpane. It's accompanied by a text which says, 'Tired, they're barely letting me breathe.'

Despite the exhaustion shining through the words, it easily marks the highest point of the day which follows Harry's departure. With Zayn and Liam refusing to exchange more than the barest necessity of words, Louis is in a constant state of trying to negotiate between his two best friends while unpacking his bags, taking care of things such as depositing the money left over from Australia in his bank account and getting ready for next month's start at Guildhall.

'I know how you feel,' he replies. 'I am this close to knocking Zayn's head against the wall and sad Liam is making *me* sad . When will you be home again ? I'll make you tea and we'll spend all day in bed.'

Harry's reply takes several hours, and just when Louis wonders whether he was too pushy, it finally arrives. 'Zayn and Liam? What happened? Home Friday, can't wait to see you. Yes please tea.'

In spite of the thick silence that accompanies Liam ostensibly watching the TV while Zayn twitches his leg and pretends to read a book, Louis smiles for what feels like the first time all day. 'I'll tell you when you get here. Which better be soon.'

This time, Harry's reply comes almost instantly. 'Not soon enough. x'

--

When Harry slips into the passenger seat, tugging at the hood of his sweatshirt to hide his face, Louis is cackling behind the wheel. Something in Harry's chest loosens.

"You know," Louis tells him, putting the car into gear, "this isn't quite what I had in mind when I offered to pick you up at the airport." The car smells of cold cigarette smoke, and right, Louis said it would be Zayn's because he doesn't actually own a car he could use to whisk Harry away.

Sliding lower in his seat, Harry adjusts the overnight bag on his lap and glances out of the window to watch Frank drive off in the other direction, Niall pulling funny faces in the backseat. "Well," Harry says. "It's kind of like a spy movie, right? And this was the only way to get clearance from Paul."

"That's the bodyguard, isn't it?" Louis rounds a corner and Niall is out of sight. No one appears to be following, and Harry splays his legs, grinning over at Louis.

"Yeah, that's the bodyguard. He's cool. And he was right, like, the paps are usually fine if they get some pictures at the airport. They don't usually follow our car."

"Follow this car, covertly." Louis' accent is clearly meant to imitate some cheesy action movie, and Harry laughs, reaches over the gearstick to touch his fingers to the crook of Louis' elbow.

"Shut up and drive, James Bond."

Mischief is plain in Louis' eyes when he glances over. "So does that make you my Bond girl?"

"Oh my God, what am I even doing with you?" Harry asks loudly, but already he can feel some of the past days' tension seep away, Louis' erratic driving style a stark contrast to Frank's calm demeanor, another puzzle piece of what sets this apart from a normal arrival back in London.

It's Louis' room which awaits him, along with a cup of tea, genuine smiles and, hopefully, naked skin on naked skin. Harry's feeling pretty optimistic about the rest of his day.

--

"So what's the status with Zayn and Liam?" Harry asks Louis as they climb the stairs, and ugh, yes, good question and also, next question.