08 | worst surprise party ever

0 8

worst surprise party ever

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Cara took her time getting her things from her apartment, and tried to explain to the sweet receptionist that she'd found "another place to live," and that she would no longer be in need of the space. The lady was confused, but didn't press(Cara was pretty sure that was part of her job), just let her get on her way.

The tower would have been a long walk if she was like a normal person with bulging suitcases and countless possessions. But due to several foster homes in her childhood, she'd gotten rid of most of her things, only keeping the most important things to have. And her necklace, the one that she'd gotten from her mother.

When the large building came into view, Cara paused. "I've got to be out of my fucking mind," she mumbled to herself. "Moving in with strangers? Mom, what do I do?"

"Can I help you?"

Cara whirled around to find a man staring down at her.

"Sorry, what?"

"You were saying something, I thought you might need someone to listen." He smiled, but it was then that she noticed how much older he was compared to her. She also took note of how close he was, the way his head was tilted down towards hers.

She sneered. "I don't have any time for perverts like you. So keep it in your pants, buddy boy, and I'll be on my way." Her foot came down hard on his, and then she scurried away as fast as possible.

God, I hope I never have to deal with that again, she groaned inwardly.

It seemed that there was someone standing outside the back door of the tower, waiting for her. As it was the only entrance she knew of, Cara had no other choice besides approach the mystery figure.

But as she got nearer, the figure was clearly Steve, his broad and strong shoulders outlined in the shirt he was wearing.

"Glad to see you came back," he greeted her, a kind smile etched on his face.

"Only for the cake," Cara smirked good-naturedly. She found herself enjoying Steve, his leadership and protective qualities proving themselves to be promising to her. She could definitely see a friendship in the future.

"Sorry to disappoint," he grinned as he opened the door, leading her in and through a hallway to get to an elevator. "I hope you like cupcakes."

Cara shrugged. "I guess it'll have to do," she sighed dramatically.

The elevator ride was relatively short, and then the doors were opening. Steve ushered her out of the moving box and proceeded to bring her to the large, living room-style space that she'd been in during her interrogation.

Except this time it was noticeably fuller. Three more new faces turned to acknowledge her and Steve's presence. One of them was a smug-looking dark haired man. He seemed like he owned the place. The next one that was in Cara's vision was a man with kinder facial features, and short, light brown hair. His arms were well toned, and his eyes showed the same strength.

As for the third man, he looked like he could be in a Pantene commercial. Seriously, he had a full head of blond, flowing locks that Cara was sure could be braided like no tomorrow. One part of her wanted to try. But she held herself in her spot.

"Um, I was told there'd be cupcakes. And streamers," she said, and peered around, as if looking for them.

"Uh, we were supposed to have cupcakes and streamers?" The brown-haired man looked up at the others quizzically.

Cara wasn't surprised to see Natasha giving her a cold glare. It was definitely going to take some time to warm up to her.

"This is Cara," Steve introduced, and she curtsied in the most sarcastic way possible, smirking the whole time.

There was a chorus of hi's and hello's that rang throughout the room, welcoming the teenager. She let Steve lead her over to stand in front of the couch, where everyone could see her, and vice versa.

After a few minutes of silence, Cara began to feel like a zoo animal. "Well, don't all jump at once to introduce yourself," she joked.

"I am Thor, son of Odin, future king of Asgard," Pantene Commercial quite literally jumped up and introduced himself, placing a kiss on the back of her hand. His smile was sweet and innocent.

"Uh, what?" She raised an eyebrow, and then took in what, exactly, he was wearing. Clad in a metallic suit of armor with a red cape to top it all, his free hand held a hammer that, while large, looked like it was made out of styrofoam.

"Thor, she didn't actually mean--oh, never mind, he'll figure it out someday," Nat said, and rolled her eyes.

"What's this, your weapon of 'mass destruction?'" Cara pointed at the big thing hanging from his hand.

"It is--" he started to say, but Cara had her hands on it already, and with both hands proceeded to lift it out of his fingers.

She didn't last a moment. The hammer crashed down to the ground, just missing her feet, but it brought Cara crashing down with it. She made a yelp of surprise when she tumbled down onto the floor, unable to catch herself.

Looking up, she saw Steve snort, and cross his arms, trying to cover up the growing smirk on his face.

"Shut up, Grandpa," she muttered, cheeks flaming red, and scrambled back to her feet. "You didn't care to mention that that thing weighs, like, a ton?" She scowled at Thor.

He just looked at her, a serious expression on his face. "It just means that you are not worthy."

Not understanding what he meant, and not bothering to look into it, Cara clapped her hands, trying to brighten her own mood. "Alright, who's next? Oh," she looked at Steve, Bruce, and Nat, "and this is the worst surprise party ever."