17 | make her happy

1 7

make her happy

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Dedicated to: my twin mxrvelous and this babe -patronus

"I don't get you, Cara, and I drive myself crazy trying to," Steve sighed, running his hands through his hair. He let his fingers drop, getting tangled in her long, brown locks as she lay on his lap, watching the credits of the movie roll on the screen.

"Then don't. Don't try to understand me," she said, sitting up to look at him. "It'll only give you a headache."

He stared at her for a second, and then the corners of his lips turned up in a light smile. "Save me from a headache, and tell me," he replied, brushing her cheeks with featherlight fingertips. "Tell me all about you, what your story is. Everyone's got a story."

She ducked her head and turned away, closing herself off. "It's complicated."

"Nothing can be as complicated as being frozen in an iceberg for seventy years," he tried to comfort her, placing a hand on the small of her back.

She loved the feeling of his hands on her, but she wasn't sure she was ready to spill the beans on her life yet. Only J.A.R.V.I.S. knew, and that wasn't even planned.

"True," she grinned, "but I don't think I'm ready for anyone to know. Not yet, at least."

He nodded knowingly, squeezing her hip. "And that's okay," he reassured her, "you don't have to be ready."

"Ready for what?"

Both Cara and Steve whirled around, tearing themselves away from each other as they heard Bruce's voice interrupt their conversation. She blushed, realizing what he'd meant in his words.

"Uh, never mind," Steve said hastily, and got up from the couch. He asked J.A.R.V.I.S. To turn off the television, and then turned to face his friend. "Didn't anybody ever tell you not to eavesdrop on a private conversation?"

Cara, still blushing furiously red, was unable to make a sassy remark, just sat there watching the moment unfold.

"Private conver--oh, if you guys--I mean, I'll just go if you--" Bruce stumbled along his string of words, his eyes flitting between the two people.

Cara found her voice back at that exact moment, and shrieked, "No!" This startled both men, and she found herself being looked at strangely by each of them. Bruce stared at her as if he'd just been yelled at by his mother, and Steve, well...Steve furrowed his eyebrows, crinkles by his eyes appearing as he squinted at her in confusion. "That's not what we were talking about, not by a long shot, Bruce," she explained herself, standing up. "We were talking about...something personal."

There was a silent pause, as each person tried to grip a hold on the situation, though it didn't work. After a minute, Bruce raised his eyebrows in a my-work-is-done-here way, and retreated out of the large common area. This left Cara and Steve staring at each other, both of them waiting for the other to make a move.