8. Before It's Too Late

On a day like any other at work, Casey decided to visit Haley. “Hey Haley, how’s work?”

“It’s really busy as you can see. So what’s up?” she says as she walks towards the front desk to look for some papers.

“Nothing much, I just really miss hanging out with you. Just like old times.” And as Casey told her that, he saw her ring placed on her finger. “Wait, what’s that on your finger Haley?”

“Oh, that’s my engagement ring.” As soon as she said that, Casey’s heart broke into a million pieces and his ears felt like they had heard the worst words in his life. “Stefano and I are going to get married in a few months in Hawaii. I’ll send you the invite.”

Casey couldn’t take it anymore, so he spoke what was in his mind with an exploding angry tone. “How could you do this Haley? How could you do this to me?”

“What do you mean Casey? It’s not like you’re my father. I don’t need your permission.”

“But Haley, you don’t know what you are doing. Are you seriously sure that he loves you?”

“Of course he does. Actions speak louder than words, Casey. He may say cute stuff to me, complement me, and say that he loves me every time that he can, but he also shows me that he loves me. He treats me like his very own queen. And that’s how I love to be treated!!” Haley had never looked so mad before, especially to her best friend Casey.

“Alright Haley, I’m sorry. I won’t question your decisions ever again. I promise.” Casey’s eyes were trying to say sorry to her, but internally he actually wanted to burst into tears.

“Thanks Casey. I’ll see you later, I have a lot of other patients to see.” So Haley grabbed the patient’s portfolio and headed off to the room.

“Goodbye Haley.” Casey dropped a couple of tears as she walked away. “Goodbye forever.” As he went back to his car, he dragged himself with the little energy that he had. “I’m so stupid!” Casey tells himself has he hits the steering wheel. “I shouldn’t have waited for so long. I should have told her during high school. But I let my fear get in the way of my possible happiness. It‘s too late now.” That same day, Casey talked to Selena about the situation.

“Casey, I’m really sorry. I honestly thought that they were going to end soon. But I guess I was wrong,” Selena placed her arm around Casey, while trying to help him feel better.

“It’s alright, Selena. It’s not your fault. I should have told her when I had the chance. You know, before she met her ‘husband,’” he said as he leaned forward on his knees, all bummed out.

“Yeah.” There was a brief moment of silence and then Selena’s brain spoke it’s idea. “Oh I have an idea. Why don’t you go to their wedding and when the priest says, ‘Anyone out there who believes that these two should not marry, speak now or forever hold your peace,’ you go in running and say, ‘I object,’ you know, just like they do in the movies.”

Casey already had a smile on his face and started to laugh a little, “Selena, you are so funny. The way you explained that plan to me was so hilarious.”

“Yeah, I know. But you know I wasn’t kidding, right?” Casey started to think to himself about the plan, but he doubted himself.

“Casey, what’s wrong?”

“Well, it’s just that, since I love her I don’t want her to be sad. I don’t want to ruin her life. And plus, I already promised her that I would never question her decisions ever again.” Casey buried his face in his hands and stared down at his shoes, really sad of losing his ‘first love.’

Selena sat there on the couch with him, trying to think of another idea. “Well, I would suggest that you take her out to dinner and tell her the truth. It’s either that, or just wait and see if their marriage actually lasts.”

“No, I can’t wait. I did that for too many years already, I’m not going to sit here and wait for them to divorce.” Casey stood up on his feet and felt confident on what he should do next.

“So, what are you going to do Casey?”

“I am going to go to Haley and tell her the truth.” Casey was still scared internally, but he knew that his love for Haley was much stronger than that.

“That’s great Casey,” Selena said as she jumped up from her couch and hugged Casey. “Yeah, great decision Casey. May I suggest something?”

“Sure Selena, I could use all the help I can get.” Casey replied with a smile.

“Okay, I suggest that you tell her when Stefano is not around. Because if he is around, then that will just cause more trouble between you guys.”

“Oh, don’t worry. I will make sure that that horrible girl stealing guy stays out of my way.” Casey’s idea was to tell Haley after she gets out of her job. Since she drives herself home, Casey has to get there before she gets into her car.