Chapter 1

Minkyung's POV

The sun at noon was high in the sky casting my shrunken shadow on the hard ground. It was a rather humid day. A word was stuck in my head as the radiant rays of the sun filtered through the canopy of the leaves. Hot. Hot. Hot. Hot. How can people even survive despite today’s hot weather? I might probably die because of heatstroke. Maybe an umbrella could provide me some shade. Ah! I forgot to bring my umbrella. I think I left it on my study table.

I walked towards the traffic light and waited for the green man to appear. I walked home from school since my house is just a few hundred metres away. My best friend, Sujeong, would normally walk home from school with me but she has extra classes for today.

Soon, I reached the doorstep of my house. To my surprise, pairs of shoes were stacked up on the shoe rack as soon as I opened the door. That’s weird. I live with my father and Sujeong in a two-storey house. We were the only ones who live in this house.

 In addition, we were not expecting any visitors for today. Laughter filled the air as soon as I closed the door. I walked towards the living room. I was paralysed when I saw my father with EXO, a South Korean-Chinese boy band produced by S.M. Entertainment. A normal girl would probably scream at thought of seeing EXO in your living room but I didn't. I stood there staring at my father, paralysed instead of freaking out. My father shouted my name and I came back to my senses after a while. I introduced myself and sat next to my father. EXO also introduced themselves cheerfully with their million dollar smile. I wonder what brought them here.

Were they here because I won a contest? Nah, I didn't participate in any contest at all.

Did Sujeong won it then? Probably not, since she is a hard-core fan of MBLAQ.

Then…What is EXO doing in my house? From what I know, KPOP Idols do not really have a lot of free time. They should be recording something right now or even practising their choreography. After a short momentary silence, my father spoke up.

"Min Kyung ah, I raise you up as a beautiful, intelligent and bright girl although you did not have a mother. I always told you that your mother died in a car accident on the way to work whenever you asked me where she is. I lied. I know we should not keep secrets between each other but I promised your mother," my father's voice was trembling as he told me the shocking news.

My heart sank. All those years… He was lying to me. He promised that we should not keep secrets between each other. We should always speak up and share our problems and not bury it deep inside yourself. He could have told me the truth. I could at least try to accept the fact and stay strong. My eyes were brimming with tears as I listen to my father intently.

He took a deep breath before continuing his sentences, "Your mother and I separated when you were 5. You probably do not remember what happened since you were so young at that time. I felt as though my whole world was crashing down when your mother walked out on me. We didn't get a divorce because your grandmother was very ill and we did not want it to affect her health. She was so fragile. So we said our goodbyes but we decided not to get a divorce. Years later, you started secondary school. I’m sure you know EXO. You're probably wondering why they're here. Min Kyung ah… The reason why EXO is here is because one of them is your brother. Your mother ran away with you brother at that time and left me with you. Min Kyung ah... Your brother... He is Do Kyung Soo. He will be staying with us from onwards because... Because..."

My father broke down into tears. I hugged him and rubbed his back. Although this is a shock for me, I need to stay strong for my father. He went through a lot of difficulties just to raise me up and live his life. My father stood up and went to his room. Baekhyun gave me a tissue to wipe off my tears. I didn't even realised how hard I was crying silently.