The Concert

Emmalyn's POV:
It was early May, and festival (an event that happens once a year for band and orchestra where you get judged by judges) is just around the corner. My music teacher, who is usually the most chill person in the world, Mr. McElroy is getting antsy and uptight by the day as festival and pre-festival draws nearer. We were all working our butts off, trying to be ready for both days to come. Finally, pre-festival is here. I skipped school that day due to sickness, but I wouldn't skip the concert even if my life was on the line. That night was a very sensitive night for me since Mr. McElroy wanted to throw together a memorial for my friend,Gabriel, who just recently died a few days ago. I haven't gotten over his death and I really wasn't looking forward to that part of the concert. My friend Paulina and I were just about to put away our instruments after playing on stage.
"Oh my god, Emmalyn! We nailed it out there!"
"I know right?! We are SO ready for festival. Oh shoot! I left my violin case in my locker. Do you mine coming with me?"
"Sure."
"How many groups are on next?"
"About three. Concert band went on before us. We still have to watch the intermediate orchestra, the jazz band, and the beginning band."
"Ugh. Right. Anyway lets continue to pack up. We need to head out to the theatre to watch."
"Yeah. Last person to finish packing up their instrument has to pay the winner five bucks!"
"Hehe hey! No fair! You had a head start!"
We packed up quickly and Paulina owes me five bucks tomorrow. We walked out to the hall and our friend Arla approached us.
"Emmalyn! Paulina! You won't believe who I saw!"
"Who did you see?"
"Jimmy Carter!"
"No way! He moved back?! Oh my god! I haven't seen him in ages!"
"Emmalyn, I know what you're thinking."
"What?! I'm not going to do anything! I had a small crush on him. We're only friends and it's going to stay that way. Besides, I don't have any feelings for him anymore."
"Alright. I'm just saying."
"Well don't! You're over reacting."
"Okay"
We were chatting out in the hall, with small talk, when this boy walks up to us. He had black hair, green eyes, and just a tiny bit shorter than me. He had a very welcoming smile and look in his eyes.
"Hey. Are you guys going to go into the theatre?"
"Yeah. We are actually. I'm Emmalyn by the way. But you can call me Emma."
"Oh. Nice to meet you Emma. I'm Nicholas, but you can call me Nick. May I sit with you guys? My friends left and I have no one to hang with until the concert is over."
"Sure. I don't see a problem with that."
I look to Nick. I then looked at Arla. She had the look of discomfort on her face.
"You know what? I left my phone in the practice room. You guys go ahead without me. I'll come find you."
And with that, Arla left, walking in a quick pace, into the band room.
"That... was weird. Anyway... you can sit with us, but only if we can find enough seats. The theatre is pretty packed with people. I'm Paulina by the way."
Paulina extended her hand and he shook it. We then walked into the theatre and found seats for all three of us to sit in. I was in the middle seat with Paulina sitting on my right, and Nick sitting on my left. We made it just in time for Gabriel's memorial. The orchestra walked on stage, and put a white rose on a chair, right where Gabriel would usually sit. I was about to cry, but because of how pride driven that I am, I stopped myself and bit my lip, trying to push back the tears. I finally succeeded the war that I was fighting to hold back my tears when Nick grabbed my hand. I looked at him in shock.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah I'm fine."
Emmalyn's Thoughts:
Shoot. He noticed me. Oh well. I guess I was kind of obvious. After all, he was my best friend from first grade and he did just die. I'm really not ready for this. Just suck it up a bit longer. Its almost over.
Suddenly, somebody came on stage and took the chair and rose off the stage and the orchestra filled in the gap. I sighed in relief and the show continued on. All throughout the show, I had a runny nose. Every fifteen seconds, Nick would grab my hand and ask, "are you okay?" and I would always reply, "I'm fine." Nick kept on asking over and over if he could hold my hand. I kept saying no until he asked for the hundreth time where I finally said okay out of pure annoyance. He then got the urge to put his arm around me and pulled me close to him. I looked to Paulina, who was looking back at me with a look of confusion on her face. I gave her a look, as of to say, "Please help me!" And she read my mind.
"Hey Emmalyn? Could you come with me to the restroom? I messed up my make-up."
"Yeah sure."
I broke free from Nick's embrace.
"We'll be right back."
"Okay."
We walked towards the exit of the theatre and into the lobby with the bathrooms. Paulina was dragging me by the arm as if I was refusing to go in with her. We walk into the restroom and there was no one in there. Perfect! Thank god!
"What the hell was going on in there. That guy was all over you!"
"I know dude! I am seriously creeped out. I'm a little bit scared for my life."
"I wouldn't be scared for my life. I would be scated for my virginity. This guys is legitimitely creepy."
"I know. You got to admit, he's pretty persistent when ot comes to hitting on people."
"Yeah. I'm not going to lie, he's kimd of cute."
"Why don't you date him then?"
"I'm not into guys like him. Besides, he's your problem."
"Paulina. You've got to help me. Please don't leave me alone with him. Please help a sister out!"
"Okay, okay. We have one more group next. Text your dad to come pick you up."
"Yeah. Lets go back."
We exit the restroom and we see Nick standing right outside the door.
"Ah! Finally. Ready to go back?"
Paulina and I looked at each other. I could tell she was feeling the same way. I was very creeped out. I wanted nothing more than to go home and forget about this evening. I nodded my head yes and we headed back to our seats. He then repeated everything that happened and in the theatre before we went into the restroom. Finally, the last group was playing, and they were one song in. I slowly took out my phone and texted, "Dad. Please. Come. Pick. Me. Up. NOW!!!"
Funny enough, Nick didn't even notice me texting him, and he had his arm around me. Once they finished playing, I was so relieved. I was about to follow Paulina when Nick grabbed me by the arm.
"Wait. Can I ask you something?"
"Um... sure? I guess..."
"Do you have a boyfriend?"
I hesitated for about ten seconds. I was conteplating wether or not if I tell him the truth that I don't have a boyfriend. It was an all out war in my mind.
"Umm... Emmalyn?"
"Oh sorry! Yes. Yes I have a boyfriend."
"Oh... Sorry."
"No. Its okay."
"Well I'll see you tomorrow."
"Huh?"
"I see you all the time during lunch."
"Oh... Okay."
Suddenly my dad just called. I sighed in relief and answered.
"Hi dad."
"Where are you? I'm here and I don't see you."
"Oh! Sorry dad! I'll be right out!"
"Hurry up."
"Okay."
I hung up the phone and looked at Nick.
"I got to go. My dad's right outside."
"Okay. I'll see you around."
"Okay."
I quickly walked outside. Nick was right behind me. The atmosphere was tense and akward. I couldn't wait to get into the car. Fortunately, the car was right out front. I got in the car, but not too quickly where I looked like something was wrong, and shut the door. I sighed and smiled. Thank god its over.