Chapter 6- In the Light of the Half Moon

A few days later and I was allowed to leave the infirmary. The nurse, who worked there, Mrs. Johnson, was kind but strict. She had refused to answer any of my questions, saying it would lead to more questions and then stress me out. She was probably right.

Thankfully I had been given a change of clothes, because my other one's had been covered in blood. It was a dark blue T-shirt that said, "HA!" Probably stood for Hunter Academy. Along with the shirt, I was given a pair of freshly ironed jeans, new tennis shoes, and a piece of lemon candy.

Anyways, after I had healed up she had directed me to the principal's office. We had walked through hall after hall after hall. (It was a bit difficult with my leg brace, but not too bad.)

This place was bigger and grander than Lawrence could ever be. We passed door after door after door. Mrs. Johnson explained that students were all in classes right now, and it was best not to disturb them.

After walking up several flights of stairs and continuing down more hallways, we stopped at a set of big timber doors, with elegant bronze door handles.

The nurse brushed her mousy, brown hair behind her ear nervously, and looked at me. "Now my dear, the principal wishes to speak with you. I need to go back down to the infirmary, but I wish you luck."

She then hurried away before I had time to thank her for taking care of me.

I wiped off my clothes, took a deep breath, and knocked on the door.

I heard a kind, smooth voice say, "Come in."

I took another deep breath, and pulled open the wooden doors.

I walked in, and at first, I was unimpressed. It seemed like a regular principal's office, nothing out of the ordinary. But when I looked closer, I saw peculiar things.

The window that sat behind the principal's desk was not glass. It was some sort of strange crystal that glittered magically in the sun's rays. Books and books lined continuous shelves, and had titles like; "How to hunt down a Pegasus" by Helen Thatcher; and "How to treat an infected Leprechaun bite" by Simon Collair. There were also glass cases of strange creatures. In the one closest to the door, some fairy-looking creatures buzzed around a strange habitat. Glowing flowers and blue vines filled the glass box. Other cases held bizarre water animals, or other creatures I couldn't even explain.

I was too busy gazing around the room; it took a moment to notice the Principal sitting at his finely polished desk. He looked at me and smiled.

"Very mind-boggling, isn't it, Kimberly?" He asked this with a smooth, kind voice. The voice was clear as a cloudless night but strong as a wild stallion. The man sitting there had graying hair, that had obviously once been a light brown. He had a short beard that went just below his chin, and a mustache to go with it. His clothes looked somewhat 18th century. A vest with a long-sleeved blouse underneath, and long black trousers. His face was filled with wrinkles, and his eyes with sadness and wisdom. He seemed nice enough. Better than Mr. Clemons.

I walked over, closer to his desk.

"Um . . . You know my name."