Chapter 3- Lawrence Academy

I slowly turned my head in the direction I felt the stare. No one knew about this place except for me, so who would be here? Unless, someone simply by coincidence just happened to stumble across this particular tree in the center of the woods. Yeah right.

"Kim," said a kind familiar voice. "Are you okay?"

Now I knew who it was. The only one who would walk miles into the woods just to ask that question.

Will pulled back the willow leaves and walked into my hide-away.

I took a deep breath. He didn't know yet. He didn't know that I was moving so that we could be closer to Lawrence.

"How did you find me here?" I asked. "I'm in the middle of the woods, like two or three miles in as a matter of fact."

"Oh, I uh, saw you running into the woods when I was on the way to your house." He said. "I - I  just followed the direction you went and found you. This is a really cool place though. You should've told me about it. But, that's beside the point. Are you okay?"

For a moment there, I thought I saw him blush slightly, but it must have been my imagination, because he went back to looking concerned.

"Will, I have to tell you something important." I gently patted the mossy floor next to me, and he sat down. I took another deep breath.

"Will, I'm moving."

"What?" He said loudly.

"We've talked about this before, Will." I sadly sighed. "No need to act so surprised."

"Well, it's a shock that it's happening so soon." He muttered. "When did you find out?"

"When I was called to the office today," I started quietly. "The reason is because Principal Clemons, well, he's going to transfer me to Lawrence. My parents agree that it's for the best as well."

He looked at me with surprise. "Why? Isn't Lawrence that expensive academy for all those snobby, stuck-up geniuses? Not that you're not a genius, though."

"Yeah," I laughed sadly. "I told him – and my parents – that I didn't want to go, but I don't think they'll take no for an answer. Plus, my dad retired so that I can stay at Lawrence for the rest of high school, and get a good education."

"Well, that's a good thing, right?" He asked with his usual optimism. "You're really smart; you deserve to go to a good school. And I mean, Lawrence is only a few hours away, right? So I can still see you."

"Yeah, I guess, but barely, and I won't be going to Christensen anymore, today was my last day apparently, since I have to help my parents with the move, and . . . I just don't want to lose anymore friends."

Will gave an encouraging smile. "Well, I don't want you to go, and if you don't want to go you should say something. But, Kim, we'll still be friends. We'll always be friends, even if you move to China or something. I'll never let our bond break. No matter what happens."