Chapter 1

When you think of a witch, what do you think of?

Willow from Buffy?

Maybe Bonnie from The Vampire Diaries?

I bet you heard of Sabrina, the teenage witch. The one with the talking cat.

Me? I am not a girl. I'm a boy, a boy witch. We actually can be called warlocks, but honestly, a witch sounds less...frighting. Yeah this sounds stupid, maybe just because of the fact that people don't believe in witches. Just like people don't believe in vampires, werewolves, and other fictional creatures.

Well, shocker, they are real. These beings are the real deal, and they walk among the living. I'm a prime example. I am part of a vampire-hunting witch coven known as the Maxwell coven. My coven were hired by people of their villages and hunted vampires to keep them in check.

Vampires are predators and need to be kept in check, that was what my grandfather told me when I would walk with him in the woods.

"One day I met a young lady, a vampire who saved my life. Her name was Alice, a fine girl compared to the rest of her kind... When I spared her life, she swore whomever would be the next in my bloodline, she would protect for eternity. That's you, Quinn..."

Those words from my grandfather echoed in my head anytime I would think of him. He died that summer when he told me about Alice. She was quiet when she went to the funeral. No one even questioned her being there. Alice was mysterious, but she always did her job with her mate by her side.

Once Fall came again, I was waiting for the bus for my last year of high school. I couldn't believe it was my last year, but I was somewhat fine with that. This ment I could go off elsewhere and not just be the weird kid with the weird parents that live in a house that came straight out of "Leave it to Beaver" land. It was my chance to escape my fate of being a witch.

"Hey, Quinn!" A girl with long brown hair, a buttoned blouse with a jeans jacket and a jeans skirt to go with it.

"Hey, Lydia."

"It's been a bit, huh?"

"Yeah... how was Texas?"

"Hot, enough barbecue to sink a ship, and I developed a sweet tooth for sweet tea and banana pudding." Lydia laughed as she took the loose strand of hair and tucked it behind her ear.

Lydia McKellen, she was my best friend since the first grade. She was odd, sometimes outgoing, but other times she would be shy. Lydia was a simple girl. She didn't try to make a scene like most of the girls at my school. Her idea of a good time was reading her book and listening to her music in the corner of the room. That, or watching her favorite TV show or movie in that same corner. Lydia would have her moments where she surprised me, like her love for the supernatural. She would talk about vampires, witches, and other fantasy creatures. But what she doesn't know is her best friend was a witch.

I laughed. "Was it that bad?"

"No not at all. It's nice to see my aunt Lauren and Uncle Felix. I just get a little homesick, that's all." She said as the bus pulled up. I let her go first and she went back to sit next to Jackie, her girl best friend.

"Hey Quinny boy!" Jackie said as I sat across from my two friends and sat next to Ben, Jackie's brother and a good friend of mine. Ben and Jackie were twins, but they were definitely not similar. Jackie was the fun loving, crazy girl who marches to her own drum, while Ben was a little more reserved and technical.

"What's up, Jackie?"

"The sky, birds, planes, you know, the usual." Jackie laughed and then proceeded to hug Lydia.

I laughed and then I waved over to Ben, who had his nose stuck in a book. He noticed me and smiled back then went back to his book.

Jackie then set back in her seat and ruffled her Joan Jett inspired hair. "So what do you think, Lydie? I look a little like a black heart now."

"Don't you mean a Runaway?" Lydia said.

"I guess so. If you think of it that way." Jackie said as she looked at herself with her selfie camera.

This was a typical bus ride, Jackie would throw references, Lydia would sometimes correct her, I would sometimes contribute, and Ben read.

But one afternoon was not so typical.

Every afternoon, like clockwork, Lydia and I would get off the bus and walk together till we reached our houses. Lydia would talk about her classes and I would listen. When she goes to her house, we would wave to each other and I would continue to my house. After I was inside, I would turn on the TV and start watching Dragon Ball Super while making a sandwich. Goku's screams and the reactions from his opponents would be the soundtrack while I made my peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

After watching an episode or two, I would go start on my homework, but that was not the case. I heard my phone ping and I had gotten a text from Lydia.

"Meet me at the Fro Yo place in town, I need help with some project ideas. -Lydi"