5

Honestly, I don't know where to start. 

He snuck his way into my life. I didn't realize his presence until it was right next to mine. Knees touching, a slight of hand, an exchange of breath.

I knew his name, he knew mine.  Out of the nine months we had known of each other, we only really got to know each other during the ninth month. 

Shared whispers at the dinner table

Promised love and consistency

It always felt like we were too late

I was crushing on him so hard. It was like when I was a kid and I jumped off of a swing for the first time. I'd never done it before, so I didn't know what to expect. I knew other kids did it,  I saw them. The moment I disconnected from the plastic, my mind was blank. I'm sure I felt excitement, thrill, freedom, but also nothing. The next thing I knew I laid in the bark feeling like all the oxygen was suddenly sucked back into the trees and grass.  

My glances over the shoulder proved me wrong

Because by the time my eyes made contact with your retreating figure

You were gone,

Lost to the shadows

During our last exchange a friend commented on how this party would most likely be the last time we would see one another. We hugged, but continued talking. Our friends said "Let's go, it's getting late." Another said "Wait, I have to go to the bathroom first. I heard that her sink is something to marvel at."

We waited to see if the bathroom was really someone extraordinary. It was. 

He left the state a few days later.