Pretty? me?

~Jessie~

The spiteful laughter of my classmates fill my ears. I feel the warm, slimy spaghetti soak through my blouse to my cold skin. No doubt that the spaghetti is tinging my beautiful blouse a dark deep red. I don't dare glimpse down at myself covered in her lunch. That would give HER the satisfaction she wants from this little stunt. I refuse to give her even a little bit of satisfaction from this.

She's whispering something to me under her breath, something she only wants me to hear, but I don't even hear it. I just hear the laughter, the rapid beating of my heart drumming in my ears, and his voice. Wait! What? I turn my head slightly to try to see him. I feel an arm go around my shoulder. He asks Logan what's going on and she gives him her reply in her bitchy voice.

He's leading me away from her now. I'm trying to see where I'm going which is hard since sauce is still falling into my eyes from on top of my head.

"It's okay Jessie I won't let you run into anything." He whispers quietly into my ear. I can feel his breath on my ear, so I know he must have his mouth close to it. A shiver rips through my whole body.

Where did that come from?

"Tristan!!" I freeze in my tracks. The sound of her screaming rips through the lunch room and I notice too late that there is no more laughter around me.

"Just keep walking" he whispers in my ear, giving me a gentle shove forward. Somehow my limbs figure out how to move again.

Then it all dawns on me like somehow I wasn't really all here the past five minutes. Logan threw her heaping tray of spaghetti at me when I was heading down the aisle made by the lunch tables. I didn't see it coming. I should've really, but who would have thought that she hated me that much that she would pull this childish stunt. I remember that Tristan came to my rescue, just like a prince come to rescue his beautiful princess. How he stood up to his horrible sister and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. The arm that's still around my shoulder. I can feel the weight of it, so it must still be there.

Heat rushes to my cheeks as embarrassment fills my body. From the humiliation of being covered in food in front of 1/3 of the whole student body or from the fact that Tristan is so close to me that I can feel the heat of his body. But why would I be embarrassed about that? I mean I don't have feelings for Tristan and I spent my whole childhood around him. I couldn't have feelings for him, could I? No, absolutely not! What about Garrett?

I can't be having feelings for another guy when I'm dating someone. Why in the world would I want too? I have the perfect boyfriend, the kind that make girls want to be me. Why wouldn't they want to be me? I'm dating the quarterback of the football team and he treats me like a princess, everything a girl wants.

Where is Garrett anyway? He should be here comforting me, rescuing me from Logan, not Tristan.

'He had A lunch today, so he could go get tutoring from Mrs. Dial, remember?' The voice inside my head tells me. Oh yeah. He'll feel horrible when he hears about this because he wasn't here for me.

"I want to go home." I say barely above a whisper. I don't want to stay here. I really don't want to be here when Garrett finds out. He'll get so protective over me, I don't want to deal with that today.

"Really? I mean, I thought you would have an extra pair of clothes for practice tonight and I'm sure they'll let you shower in the locker room." Tristan says shocked. Oh yeah practice tonight. I really should stay, but I just don't have the energy to deal with Garrett and practice. Not today.

"Tristan, just take me to the office. Please?" I ask leaning into him as the weight of the morning finally falls onto my shoulders.

"Okay Jessie." He says quietly.