86) together

"JASMINE CEPHAS JONES?" THE doctor asked.

"That's me," Jasmine said, stepping forward from the chair she was sitting in.

"Come in my office. We have your results from the tests we took," the doctor said, beckoning her inside.

__________________________

JASMINE CLUTCHED THE MANILA folder on the train ride home. She couldn't believe what the doctor had told her. Surely, it couldn't have been true. But there was proof.

She arrived home a few minutes later to see Izzy on the couch. "Hey Jas," Izzy said. "What did the doctor say?"

"I-I can't tell you right now," Jas said, shakily gripping the folder. "I have to show you. I can't even get the words out of my mouth."

Izzy nodded and took the folder. She slowly opened it up and flipped through the printed images. Her jaw dropped. "This can't be-"

Jasmine swallowed hard. "It's the truth. There's pictures of it. Honestly, it was the last thing on my mind when I visited the doctor. They said there was a very real possibility- but I didn't listen."

She sighed, knowing that when Anthony got home, she was going to have to break the news. How would he react? It broke her heart to think that he might not be able to handle it.

Jasmine tucked the images back inside the folder. "Please don't tell him," she begged. "I have to do it myself."

"Okay," Izzy said. "He texted me and told me he was on his way home. I'll give you two some privacy." She went back to her room.

"I'm hoooome!" Anthony sang as he opened the door, flopping his keys on the counter. Jasmine was standing in the kitchen, holding the folder behind her back.

"We need to talk," she said.

"This doesn't sound good," Anthony said. "Does this have to do with your doctor visit?"

Jasmine nodded, handing him the folder.

Anthony opened it, flipping through forms and pictures from what appeared to be an ultrasound. "Jas, what is that? Is that...cancer?" he said in a shaky voice.

"No," Jasmine said, a tear falling down her cheek. "It's a baby."

Anthony's eyes widened and he dropped the folder, with papers scattering across the kitchen floor.

"A BABY?!" he yelled. "THAT'S AN ACTUAL HUMAN BEING INSIDE OF YOU! OH MY GOD, I'M GONNA BE A DAD!" Tears filled his eyes and he pulled Jasmine into the tightest hug.

Izzy slipped out of her room. "I heard you yelling, so I assume Jasmine told you," she said.

"Oh my god!" Anthony cried, pulling Izzy into the hug. "Izzy, you're gonna have a little brother or sister to care for! This is the greatest day of my life."

"So you're not mad?" Jasmine asked.

"Why would I be mad?" Anthony said. "I'm gonna have a smart baby, with my beautiful good looks."

Jasmine laughed and hugged him again. "I don't know how I'm going to tell the cast."

"I say we should wait a few months, until you start showing," Anthony said.

"You could sing Dear Theodosia to the baby," Izzy said.

"Oh, you're right," Jasmine said. "I can't wait to hold it in my arms. I can't wait to see it be in its school musical. I can't wait to share it with you both."