Prologue

PROLOGUE

He had never seen a woman more beautiful. She was exotic in her looks but she still held her ethnicity. A truly beautiful young woman, one that was sure to break many hearts.

Maybe one day she would break his heart too, but not now. It was too early for him to ask for her love. She would never love him if she knew, but love wasn't in the equation. He didn't need her love. But she would be his regardless.

So pretty and so full of life. Oh, he hoped she would keep that fire when she came to him. But not yet, she needed to live a little before he demanded what he wanted from her.

He needed to stabilize his life before he could claim her. And claim her he would, that much was inevitable. Too bad her parents' deaths were also inevitable. Her father had the same ties he did, but the difference was that he knew he was playing with the devil's hand and that was a fact her father had chosen to ignore.

He could kill her father again for that; putting his daughter's life in danger, it was stupid and preventable. Now she was alone.
So pretty and alone. Fuck. This wasn't the plan. He didn't have a lot of time now. She was his responsibility now, whether or not she knew it.

Dressed in a knee-length black dress she still managed to look regally gorgeous. So young, but she had a maturity a spoiled princess should know nothing of. She looked strong, only allowing the barest hint of emotion in her eyes. At least her father taught her something. This wasn't a crowd for the weak spirited. This was a crowd of predators. One sign of weakness and she'd be their prey.

She didn't know these people; these despicable vultures. It was a gathering of her father's colleagues all looking solemn as if his death matters to them, despite the fact that someone here put the hit out on his life. She didn't even know the people who brought her up. Her parents weren't decent people, the idea of even calling them such was laughable, but they never failed to look like saints in the public's eye, or in the eyes of their daughter; their precious Channell.

She was too young and too naïve to see the truth. The cold, cruel tentacles of the world had yet to suck the life from her. She still had too much fight; too much of that damned hope. A rude awakening was exactly what she needed — and very soon, when she is finally in his arms, she will realize just how cruel the world can be.

Turning to leave the cemetery gardens, he walked away from what he wanted. An action quite out of the ordinary. He kept a leisurely pace until he got to a black Audi. He slid into the sleek interior of the vehicle and listened as the machine turned over, reveling in the power of the vehicle. Looking out on the scene once more as his driver pulled out of the side-street parking.

'All in due time', his thoughts circled strong the idea of having her in his space, at his mercy.

The dark clouds above began to release a light drizzle, further adding to his dismal mood. Fishing around in his suit pockets he retrieved his cell phone. A road closure had caused a decent traffic backup, and being that he had already been sitting in the middle of it for more than 20 mins, he took the opportunity to make a much needed call.

"Hello?", the small voice was strained but strong. She sounded good.

"Channell, darlin'. How was the service? Are you okay?"

"I'm as well as can be expected. Where are you, I didn't see you at the service?", ever the proper princess and she was already attempting to dodge him. Hmm. 

"I'm fine, Channell . Don't change the subject, I'm worried about your wellbeing, girl. Do you need me to come to you? Do you need money? Don't lie to me", if she needed me I would take the risk to go to her and money was the least I could offer.

"You don't need to do that, it's not necessary. I'm not a child anymore, you know. I can take care of myself", Her voice was starting to shake. I could hear it even though she tried to mask it.

"You may not be a child but you're still young. So, I find it my right to concern myself with someone who is practically family to me."

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Mom and Dad were great parents but they were also missing a lot of the time, I had to grow up. You know that; and you also know I don't take handouts."

This time it was my turn to be amused. She was always able to make me smile. "I know that you were always too smart for your own good, Channell, but okay I'll ease up some."

"Thank goodness, this is the third time you called me today. I was starting to worry if you were okay?" she joked but was interrupted by another person talking.

"Channell, who is-", who in the hell was disturbing them.

"Oh, okay I'll be right there-" she spoke to the person. "G, I have to go. The lawyer is going to read Mom and Dad's wills."

"Okay, I'll call you later, Chay." The wills? I doubt there was anything of importance in those.

"I know you will. Bye."

~~~~~~~~

Let me know if you love it.

vote.comment.message me

With love, My loves

Ciao,

A. Breaux