Chapter 4: Where Do I Belong?

The door was opened by a familiar face -Professor McGonagall. She wore a stern expression, but when her eyes spotted the nervous look on my face, she gave me the slightest of smiles, which calmed me a little. 

The man who had led us here said, "The firs' years, Professor McGonagall." 

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She said. 

She pulled the doors wide open and motioned for us to step in. The sheer size of the entrance hall took my breath away. The walls were made of stone, lined with torches, and the ceiling was so high, that I couldn't see where it stopped. In front of me was a beautiful marble staircase that led to the upper levels of the castle. 

Professor McGonagall led us across the hall and into a small empty chamber where she said, "Welcome to Hogwarts, the start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your House will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your House, sleep in your House dormitory, and spend free time in your House common room." 

So this is what Draco was talking about when he asked me about what House I wanted to be sorted into...

"The four Houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each House has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you House points, while any rule-breaking will lose House points. At the end of the year, the House with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever House becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return when we are ready for you, please wait quietly." McGonagall said, and then she left. 

While everyone was smoothing out wrinkles in their clothes and fixing their hair, I was trying to make sure that my bruises were not visible. I couldn't do much about my wrist, so I just tugged the sleeves of my robes down to hide the marks. I felt a pair of eyes on me and I looked up to see Draco watching me. As soon as our eyes met he gave me a disgusted look and turned away. 

"How exactly do they sort us into Houses?" I heard a boy to my left say. 

I looked up to find a skinny boy with unruly black hair, piercing green eyes behind round glasses, and a strange lightning shaped scar on his forehead. 

"Some sort of test I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking." Said the boys friend, who was tall, freckled, and had ginger hair. 

I would have to take a test in front of the whole school? I was slightly panicked, but I was glad that I had read my textbooks over the summer, surely that would help me during this test. I looked around to see that everyone else looked scared out of their wits. I turned to stare at the stone wall going over spells that I had read about in my head when suddenly, a group of figures just glided right on through the wall. They were ghosts, I could tell by their silvery-transparent bodies. 

They seemed to not have noticed that they were in a room full of students and one particularly fat ghost said, "Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance --" 

"My dear Friar," Said another ghost, who was wearing a ruff around his neck  and tights. "Haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name you know, he's not really even a ghost -- I say, what are you all doing here?" He said, finally noticing that they weren't alone in the room.