Chapter 1

Amethyst walked downstairs with her blonde hair up in a ponytail. Her face covered in makeup to hide the bruises. As she reached the last step, she stopped. She strained her ears for any sound of movement in the kitchen.

She heard nothing.

She looked around the corner to make sure.

Nobody.

She walked into the kitchen with her shoulders less tense but her body was still on alert. She quickly grabbed an apple and a bottle of water and rushed out the front door, picking up the keys to her car on her way out. She said a quick hello to her neighbours and walked on with a smile.

She reached her car. She saw her reflection on the side of her car. Her eyes looked dead. Her smile was too wide and too fake.

She wiped it off and tried again.

Still artificial.

She took a deep breath and tried once more.

Much better.

She got into her car and tossed her school bag onto the passenger seat. She caught movement in the corner of her eye and her neck snapped to the direction. She saw her father staring out of the window, at her. She shuddered and quickly reversed out of the driveway.

She took a few more gulping breaths until she was out of the property.

Out of harm's way.

She drove on steadily but her hand gripped the steering wheel. As she drew closer to the school, her body started to relax. Her smile became more and more real at the prospect of seeing her friends.

She parked her car in her allotted space (she was one of the few who had a reserved parking space) and got out of the car. As soon as she did, she was swarmed by her group of friends who all talked at once. She caught only snippets of what they were saying like, "new guy", "really hot", "really scary", "British", etc.

She didn't pay mind and walked forward with determined steps as she caught sight of her best friend, Ash, near the school entrance.

He saw her walking towards a platinum bleached blonde haired guy. He watched the guy's lips break out into a grin and hug her.

He leaned against his motorbike, smoking a cigarette. He quickly snuffed it out by dropped it on the ground and stomped on it. He paid no attention to the whispers and gossip speculating about him and walked on.

As he neared the school's entrance, he saw her glance at him and then take a double-take

As he neared the school's entrance, he saw her glance at him and then take a double-take. He 'ignored' it. He was secretly overjoyed. She took notice of him. He casually glanced at her and smirked. She hesitantly smiled at him.