Chapter 4

Amethyst and Declan were walking back to the house, chatting mindlessly about everything and nothing. After the intense conversation, they soaked in each other's presence for a while in silence before he perked up and suggested they go back inside to check up on their parents.

A sudden hush fell when they entered the house. Amethyst looked away from him and looked around for the cause. They were all looking at her and Declan. She was used to this sort of reaction, but something was different about this sudden hush. It seemed more... cold. Declan carried on talking animatedly about some story he was recounting from his childhood. She wasn't paying much attention to his story as she felt unnerved by the stares.

Well, that's a first.

They continued slowly walking, their feet leading them to an unknown destination. That destination turned out to be in front of Nolan. He looked amusedly at Declan's violent hand gestures and excited voice.

Nolan interrupted his oh-so-exciting story, "Son, you are going to hurt somebody with those flailing arms. No one likes being hit by noodles"

Declan rolled his eyes at his dad's attempt at making a joke.

"These arms? Noodles? Oh please, Dad. These babies are pure muscle", he said, striking a lame pose.

Amethyst and Nolan looked at him with a flat expression. Amethyst loosened up a little, shoving the strange change in atmosphere to the back of her mind. 

"Tough crowd", he murmured while slowly putting down his arms.

"Anyways, Ames, I was just talking to your father about taking a small well-deserved vacation that he and his wife need after all the hard work they have done, and he seemed to be interested in the idea.", Nolan said to Amethyst.

"Well, that's great. How long is the trip going to be?", she asked, trying not to get her hopes up.

"Maybe for a month, or two."

"They do deserve it. When do they plan to leave?", she asked, surprisingly calm.

A month or two!? Freedom!

Temporary freedom but freedom nonetheless.

"Well, they haven't decided yet, but they don't want to waste time. We can talk to them about it. Ah, here they are."

"What are you talking about?", asked Carmen, in her soft and feminine voice.

"About your trip", answered Nolan.

Excitedly she replied, "Ah yes. That is something that needs to be discussed. We haven't even decided on the location."

Declan suddenly perks up and suggests, "How about Bora Bora?"

"Oh, that is a wonderful place. We haven't been there before. Honey, is Bora Bora fine?", Carmen asked her husband while clutching his arm and smiling widely.

"Whatever you like, sweetheart. I don't mind the place. When shall we leave?", Heath said, looking down at his wife with a soft smile.

"Marvelous. Let's leave tomorrow morning. I simply can't wait. Nolan, will you be able to take Amethyst in while we are away? I don't want to leave her alone in the house"

Nolan smiled at her happily and thought, it worked.

"Of course, Carmen. She is like my daughter. I would do anything to keep her safe", he said, smiling at the couple.

"Wonderful. Amethyst, why don't we leave right now and get your things and move you here"

Amethyst was surprised. They were doing all this so quickly. What is happening? They had never done anything last-minute or remotely exciting like this. She clasped her hands tightly, asking in a startled tone, "Now?"