Chapter 3

Amethyst sat in the car. A blur of trees, cars, and houses whizzing by. Her driver, Henry, was driving quickly to the destination with a determined look. She had so many questions.

"What is it now?", she asked, wearily dragging a hand through her hair.

"There is a party hosted by one of your father's clients. It's very important apparently so he told me to pick you up, Miss", said Henry.

She was fearing the answer to the question but asked nonetheless, "How did you know where I was?"

Just as expected, he has a closed-off expression and hesitated. Seeing his sudden change, she pressed on.

"I want the truth, Henry."

"He put...uh...he put a tracking device on your phone recently," he replied softly, as though it would help ease the blow.

Her breath caught. She looked at her phone in disgust. All she wanted to do is throw the phone out of the window and watch it being crushed into bits but she couldn't do that. She should have expected this. She took a deep breath to calm herself. Henry looked back, fleetingly, anxious to see her reaction.

"Oh. Well, has my mother bought me a dress for the event?", she asked, formally in a clipped tone.

Henry sighed, seeing as she was trying to change the subject.

"Yes, she has. Everything is in place. Your father is waiting at home to give you further instructions"

She scoffed. He made it seem like he was some dictator.

He is as bad as one.

She pushed the thought away and kept quiet for the rest of the drive.

They reached The Grayson Mansion.

That's what everyone calls it. They were one of the richest families in America. They own several companies and have hotels, restaurants and other corporations scattered all over the world. To the outside world, they seemed like the perfect family. They all looked like they could be models and were almost celebrities. She couldn't stand any of it. She would give up her whole life for anything.

She got out of the car and walked towards the front door. She steeled herself before entering. She walked forward, cautiously. She shut the door behind her. She felt as if she had just closed herself in a cage of wild animals. She reached the living room and found her father and mother standing. Her mother was helping my father tie his tie.

Her father, Heath Grayson, looked up and saw her standing at the entrance of the living room. He had a blank and cold expression when he saw her.

His cold voice carried over to where she was standing, "Go get dressed. We have to leave in an hour. The maids will help you get dressed."

She nodded and rushed off upstairs, to her room.

She took a deep breath and straightened out her dress. Her makeup was done flawlessly, her blonde hair in waves down her back. She stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her bright blue eyes stood out due to her smoky eyes, her nude coloured lips pulled back into a smile in satisfaction. Her dress was beautiful. It was a light pink bodycon dress with flowers. She sat on her bed and slipped on nude heels. She stood up, grabbed her pink clutch and walked downstairs. Her father and mother were standing at the foot of the staircase, waiting for her. He father was in a pristine suit with a grey tie, matching the dress that her mother wore. Her mother was in a sophisticated grey dress that had an open back.