Chapter 9: Knocked Out

"You all know what to do, so get it done quickly. On my signal, destroy Nevermore. It's now or never." Raven folded her legs into the lotus position. Fight my fears, gain confidence, we need to win this. She continued to think positive fighting words in her head as she chanted her mantra.

"Let's kick butt!" Raven didn't need to open her eyes to know it had worked. The cumulative energy from all the emoticlones allowed Raven to gain control of her body once more.

"No, you will not do this to an inno-" Raven's raspy voice broke through the demon's façade.

"You're too late!" The demon continued to apply as much pressure as she could muster while Raven was regaining control.

"No!" Now! As the emoticlones destroyed each of their dwellings, Raven chanted her mantra once again. Knowledge's library crumbled as Happy's mountains exploded. With each section of Nevermore vanishing, the emoticlones evaporated, leaving their emotions with Raven. As her powers got more volatile and the demon side of her fought for control, Raven made a quick decision. Arden tensed up with pain as the spell was cast. After the deed was done, Raven and Arden lay on the sidewalk in front of Carrie's Comics, both unconscious.

~~~

Cyborg sat on the park bench, looking at his arm. He was scrolling through police reports as they came, searching for any sign of Raven. How can I lose a girl this many times in a week?! He had been hunting down Raven nonstop since he woke up early that morning. He had called in Titans East to take care of Dr. Light and told them he would explain later.

All of a sudden the screen lit up with a new report about two young women unconscious a few blocks west of his location, and one of them was wearing a dark blue cape.

~~~

Beast boy's screams could be heard as the group fell through the trans-dimensional portal once again. The journey seemed quicker this time as darkness followed them. Beast boy squeezed his eyes shut to prevent himself from getting dizzier.

"Is he alright?" Cyborg's voice broke the silence.

Beast boy cracked his eye open, unsure of what he would find. The trio was back in the infirmary along with Cyborg. "Phew."

"What took you guys so long? It's been a few days since this mess started."

The trio explained, as best they could, the events they had experienced. After they told their side, Cyborg told them what he had gone through and why Raven was still strapped down to the bed.

"Who's that Cyborg?" Robin inquired, gesturing to the second bed. A young woman, still in her teens, though in her later years, laid on the bed unconscious. The group walked over to her bed and observed her. She seemed to be in excruciating pain, bandages covered her wrist and neck, and bruises were faint but starting to form past the cotton on her throat.

"I'm not sure. I'm running her fingerprints through the system, but judging by her age she's probably not in there unless she's committed a crime before. I found her with Raven."

"Why is friend Raven not waking?" Starfire questioned, wrapping her arms around herself. Raven was still unconscious and unmoving. "Shouldn't she be awake now?" Starfire's voice quivered as she spoke.

All of a sudden, the sound of glass shattering filled the room. Robin located the source quickly, the smallest object in the room that they had just come out of. Raven's meditation mirror was now broken into several pieces without anyone touching it.

~~~

Her body ached with pain, physical, mental, and emotional, all at once. The scars she bore in every sense burned, her injuries stinging as if they were fresh. Memories flashed through her mind like a movie, a recap of her life on repeat: Azarath, the monks, her studies, her arrival to Earth, meeting the Titans, their many battles. Her mistakes stood out to her: refusing to confront her fears, trusting Malchior, Trigon's assent, among others. But victories also followed: forming a strong bond with Starfire after switching bodies, helping Robin overcome his Slade issue, sharing her experience with Beast boy and truly thanking him for saving her life as the Beast, comforting Cyborg on multiple occasions, protecting her young superhero friends. The time with the team had forced her to grow, to become who she wanted inside, not just the spawn of the incarnate of evil, but a Teen Titan, a superheroine, a true friend. But there were those who had violated her trust, like Terra, and infuriated her. There was a push and pull from good to bad memories. The emotions she suppressed throughout those times clawed their way through her, forcing her to acknowledge them and their complexity. Raven realized it was natural, even for her, to feel.

She only repeated one thing.