Chapter 19

Bucky's POV

The news has been calling for my death and or arrest for months. I thought finding Sunny would help and it has. But it hasn't. Every nightmare, every news story; it's a constant reminder of what I am. What I've done. What we've done. A lot of the media blames Kyra's kills on me. Of course, Permafrost is still very much a secret. If only the Winter Soldier could disappear as well. It was a blessing. She could be normal, eventually. I couldn't. I could never move past this. There have been a bunch of stories on the "Superhero Registration Act". That's one club they won't ask me to join. It puts Kyra in danger though. She'll be in the spotlight. Back from the dead. Legally they have to put her name on a publicly accessible list. Tony's made it crystal clear that he wants her away from me. Never thought he'd support anything that openly endangered his sister though. Kyra and I were resting for now. It had been a few hours. We were monitoring the bedrooms. FRIDAY pulled up video following each person in the tower.

This stuff still seems like magic to me. But it's helpful. The plan was to break into the armory using Kyra's credentials. Then slip out of the tower. FRIDAY had been instructed to make it look like we were in our room together. To keep the door locked at all times. To destroy any video of us leaving. Kyra told her to do a bunch of other stuff, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I just watched her speak to the air and listened as the air spoke back to her. Her head was tucked into the crook of my neck. She wasn't asleep, we hardly ever sleep. The frown on her face isn't lifting though.

"Have you changed your mind Sunny?" Her head jared my jaw as she jumped. Apparently not expecting me to speak. She touched my face with her hand turning to make sure we were looking at each other. A sad small shake of her head was her answer. "We could stay."

"No. It's not safe. Not for us especially." Her voice was gravely and weak. Nudging her gently hoping she'd continue. "I just... I wish we didn't have to leave. I don't want to leave our family. But..."

"We don't have to leave. Things might work out." I was lying though. We both knew it.

"It's only a matter of time before they turn us in." turning her head to my chest she shifted slightly between my legs. This is one of her favorite ways to sit.

"They won't turn you in. Tony won't let them."

"I go where you go. We've been partners for 14 years. I'm not giving that up. It's the only constant I've had. I'm not giving you up." Her voice was soft. Like it was a secret. "Deal with it." She shook softly as a deep chuckle rumbled through my chest.

"I'm okay with that." Placing a soft kiss on her hairline. A soft humm left her throat. She was so perfect. Made me feel perfect. Or at least normal. Understood. Loved. Glancing up at the screens I saw Tony and Pepper were asleep. Steve was also in his room. Wanda and the punk were in their room as well. Vision was the only one awake, but he was reading.

"Are they all asleep?"

"Almost, Vision is still reading children's books."

"Wanda and Piet?" Her voice held regret.

"They are asleep." I tried to comfort her as much as I could. I know how close they are. It's part of the reason why I can't stand them. They were there for her when I couldn't be. And I just. They could take my place, so easily. She refuses to tell any of them though. This is going to be just us. 'The world will need the Avengers.' she'd said. I disagreed. The world seems to be falling apart. With all the fancy new gadgets they've made, seems the worlds forgotten the most important trait there is. Compassion.

"We should go soon then." Her voice hardened over. Her business voice. Hollow. We both needed to focus, no emotions, just business.

"I'm ready when you are love." She didn't respond, simply stood from the floor and my arms. Stumbling slightly she reached for her supply pack. Jumping to help I stopped mid-move. She's strong enough to do this. She's leaving them because they don't trust her to take care of herself. That's my job. She'd hauled her pack up. A soft smile on her face. She held out her hand. It wasn't near me. She'd started doing this. When she needed help, she'd stick her arm out. It was our signal. Her right hand was out. Waiting for my left.