17-"#Ment To Be"

Max-

I collapse onto my dorm bed and let out a long groan.

Aimee laughs at my exhausted face as I stare at the pile of homework and books I have to do by tomorrow.

F*cking school.

Most of the work is easy "get to know you" or "see what you know" stuff from the teachers.

Not that much different than my old school.

Aimee has already set out her books and homework on the small desk she has. She glances over at me, still lying motionless on my bed, and says, "If I were you, I'd start on my homework. Pretty soon, we're having the back-to-school party thing."

I groan again. "Do I have to dress up?" I ask, complaining. I hate dressing up.

"No, not really," Aimee says. "But I am going to pick out some clothes for you because I love to give people mini 'makeovers'."

I sigh. "I literally don't have anything nice except for like a friggin dress that I'm never going to wear so think again," I say, crossing my arms.

Aimee shrugs. "Your loss. I'll just give you something of mine to wear."

I laugh. "Aimee, I hate to tell you, but you're like 6 inches shorter than me."

"But we wear the same shoe size," she counters.

Fair enough.

Aimee hops up from her desk and goes to her closet. "I'll do my homework later," she mumbles to herself.

Aimee pulls out some jean shorts and black band tee and her sweatshirt, which are typical Aimee clothes. She pulls out her black converse and tosses them on her bed. "That's for me," she says.

Then she turns to me. I squirm uncomfortably under her gaze.

She heads to her closet and throws a navy mini-skirt and a white tee at me. I throw it back. "Think again," I say.

Aimee rolls her eyes. "I should have known. That skirt isn't even mine, it's Claire's."

She rummages around and grabs some black skinny jeans and holds them up to me. "They're too long for me, so I assume they'll fit you," she says.

I shrug.

She finds a cute pale blue chiffon tee and then throws some black flats at me. "Change," she orders.

I oblige.

When I come out of the bathroom, she squeals. "OMG yes! I am amazing," she says with a flip of her hair. She hurries over to her dresser and grabs a sliver chain necklace with a diamond heart on it and clasps it around my neck.

"Perfect," she breathes.

She looks down at herself, as she had changed in the dorm when I was in the bathroom.

"Now I feel underdressed," she mutters.

I laugh. "Aimee, you look fine."

She shoves me. "Thanks, liar." Aimee goes back to her desk and begins to complete the rest of her homework. I follow suit.

~*~

I nervously bite my nails on the way to the main hall for the party. "Stop," Aimee hisses, slapping my hand.

"Hypocrite," I say back. "I saw you biting earlier."