Chapter 1

Starcharm opened her eyes and yawned. The suns were out and the sky was the bluest of blue, just how she liked it. She turned around and picked up her egg. "Good morning Empty." she said to it. It had been 200 years since "Empty" had been cursed to never hatch.

The creature that tainted the egg was what Starcharm called the "Egg-Smash." The Egg-Smash would travel around the world eating, killing, cursing, smashing, and stealing soon-to-hatch eggs. If the victim was mammal, it would just kill the mother, or wait until it was left unwatched. Starcharm had some friends say that they had seen the monster leaving neighbouring nests. They said it was a large male dragon, with each wing as long as Starcharm's 45 foot body.

One of her friends had even been visited by the Egg-Smash. Featherfriend, the hippogriff, had given birth to a litter of chicks, and one night, a few years ago, had woken up to find the great dragon just flying off. Three of her chicks were dead and one was dying. Her mate had left her in grief and anger. They were both alone.

Starcharm snapped out of her daydream and sat up. Using her powers over the wind she suspended Empty in the furry coils of the last three feet of her tail. "Why don't we go for a hunt Empty?" She asked. Knowing there would be no response, she headed out anyway. This morning she felt like a nice big moose.

As Starcharm reached the edge of the mountains, she finally spotted her breakfast: a large male moose. With a roar she chased after it. She used her wind powers to slow it down. Starcharm used used ice to make him slip and corner itself against a cliff. She stepped forward. A line of trees and rock surrounded them both.

With a quick snort of firebreath, it was over. She flicked her whiskers and the wind stopped. The ice melted and the trees and rock sank back into the ground. Using her sharp claws, she dug into the moose's flesh, dragging it upward and into the air. This was going to be a great meal.

"Nice job!" A voice cawed behind Starcharm. She turned around. Flapping behind her was Featherfriend, a timber wolf clutched in her talons. "Shall we?" Featherfriend asked, gesturing to the wolf with her beak. "My pleasure." Starcharm responded as they dove toward the valley.