love is a cat from hell.

I snapped my phone onto the table in Becky’s house, groaning. Bones hasn’t picked up any of our calls for the past few days; she never ignores me though, and it hurts a lot. Becky and Randi have told me that sometimes Bones gets into bouts of depression, but she usually snaps out of it in a day or two, and everyone else has witnessed this. But it’s been four days, and every call, text, and message has gone unanswered.

“God damnit,” I muttered under my breath, looking up at Becky.

“What? Did she not answer again?” I nodded, and Becky shook her head. “It just doesn’t make sense. Should we go to her house?”

“I don’t know,” I tipped my head back and burned holes in the ceiling with my eyes.

Tony spoke up from his spot on the couch, “C’mon, let’s just go check in on her. As annoying as she is, we should make sure she’s okay and nothing’s wrong.”

I sighed, “Sure, let’s go.”

We all walked into Tony’s car in silence, Tony in the driver’s seat, Becky in shotgun, and I was slumped in the back.

I took out my phone and sent a text to Beau: We're heading to Bones' house. She hasn't talked to anyone in four days.

It didn’t take long to show up, her home was around five minutes away. She lives alone in her own studio apartment; she was emancipated when she turned sixteen, paying for herself from working at a local daycare and being a waitress at a restaurant. It’s usually fun having her live by herself because she didn’t have any limits or anything to tie her down, but in times like these, it’d be really convenient if she did live with someone.

“Kellin, can you go knock on the door?” Becky asked, turning to face me.

“Yeah,” I pocketed my phone and exited the car, jogging up the stairs and going to her apartment on the third floor.

I knocked, making sure it was loud, my knuckles turning white at the contact. About a minute passed, and I rolled my eyes, knocking again. When there was still no answer, I grabbed the knob of the door in false hope, but to my surprise it opened. Bones would be like the kind of person to leave the door unlocked. I stepped in, and stopped dead in my tracks.

“Holy shit,” I whispered to myself. Her futon was flipped over, the pillows and blankets strewn on the floor. A photo frame holding a picture of her niece was cracked, the photo slipping out of the gash. The fairy lights that were supposed to be hung up along the edge of the ceiling were thrown to the ground, tangled up, the glass smashed.

I automatically grabbed my phone and clicked on the name that would help most in this situation.

“Yeah?” Beau answered.

“Bones’ house is a fucking wreck.”

There was a pause of urgent silence, before Beau uttered, “I’m on my way.”

I nodded, knowing full well he couldn’t see, and hung up, sticking my phone in my pocket. I ran out the door, leaving it cracked, and sprinted to Tony’s car. I was out of breath when I reached it, both of them giving me concerned looks through the window. Becky threw her door open, her brows raised.

“Any particular reason you’re running?” she asked.

“You… need to, shit I ran too fast. You need to fucking look,” I said, my breathing going crazy. “I called Beau, he’s coming.”

At that, their eyes opened wide, and they hopped out of the car and jogged back to the apartment with me. The stairs made a ringing sound, probably attacking the ears of anyone else in the building, but we didn’t care. I elbowed Bones’ door open, and we all entered slowly.