Chapter Four

My mind was plagued with the headlight, the roaring engines, and those laughs, I couldn't get them from my mind. I jumped at every sound that was natural, the only time I felt comfortable was in the day light, I even started to accept rides home from Todd after work, but I always came home alone.

Dwayne and the rest of the boys stopped making appearances at the record shop. I would occasionally see David, Marko, and Paul out on the boardwalk, but never Dwayne and I never got to ask about him because I made sure to steer clear of them. 

There was something off with them, but I couldn't put my finger on it yet. No matter how many time I reread the comic, none of it made sense, the vampire conspiracy theories, the disappearing, my sister sudden paranoia over my well being, the flying motorcycles, none of it. And that's what scared me the most, the fact that I didn't know.

The sun shone on my pale skin as I walked down the boardwalk. The beach was crowded with everyone trying to escape the hot summer day, even my sister and Tommy went, but not me. I needed some type of answer and the only people crazier than I was currently, were the Frog brothers. 

I entered their comic store, immediately taking notice to the two older sleeping hippies behind the counter. Edgar and Allan were putting up stacks of comic books from boxes on the floor. I cleared my throat and they both turned their heads to me. "I read it. A few times," I said throwing them the comic book.

Edgar caught it with a stern face, "What did you see that made you read it?"

"I'm not sure," I answered truthfully, "I can't tell you because I'm not positive. It happened a few nights ago. I heard laughing and motorcycles but didn't think about it until their headlights were shinning directly in my second story window."

Edgar smirked, "Vampires can fly."

"I was told," I said taking a glance down at the comic book.

"See who it was?" Alan asked.

I shook my head, "When I looked outside their was nothing but a laugh. Nothing, but I was positive of what I saw."

"Have they come back?"Edgar asked.

"No," I told them.

"Who were you with the night it happened?"

"What were you doing?"

"Were you sober?"

"Was anyone else home?"

Suddenly it began to feel like an interrogation, and I just wanted help. I didn't want to be asked 20 questions, I was tired as it was. I barely slept because I was scared that'd it would come back. I was scared of the unknown and secrets Santa Carla held for me. 

"I was with this guy named Dwayne," I told them, "We met after work and got pizza and his friends showed up. And I swear.... Never mind."

"What?" Alan asked with his mouth open slightly.

"I could have sworn I heard their bikes and their laugh," I told them wide eyed, "But I don't know."

"Wait here," Edgar asked. He and Alan went to the back room leaving me alone in the comic book store alone. When they finally came back out they both carried a box in their arms.

"What's that?" I asked them.

"The basic necessities," Alan said as he and Edgar dropped their boxes onto the floor. 

I opened the boxes and it revealed a mobile medieval torture chamber. "And what do you suppose I do with this?" I asked picking up a water bottle filled with water.