Chapter Seven

"What are you doing on the porch Raylen?" My eyes fluttered open to be greeted by the light and my the face of my sister.I slowly sat up and looked around at my surroundings. I was home but I didn't know why I wasn't in the house. The last thing I remembered was talking to Dwayne.

"I don't know," I muttered looking Abby in the eyes.

"You're not on any drugs are you?" Abby looked at me suspiciously, "Because if you are I'm sending your ass back to mom."

I scoffed and pushed myself up from the wooden porch. "Do I look like a druggie to you?"

"Just looking out for you," Abby rolled her eyes.

"You just getting home?" I asked her brushing the dirt off of me.

"Yeah," Abby muttered. Her eyes widened as she glanced my body. "Oh my God Raylen what did you do to your neck!"

I pushed my hair back and felt the side of my neck. My fingers were met with a sticky metallic substance. I looked down at my hand to see it covered in blood. "How the hell?" I muttered I went into the house and directly into the small bathroom to look into the mirror. Two identical puncture wounds were on the side of my neck, and I had no idea how they got there. I glanced behind me to see Abby's concerned gaze. "I think you should go to the hospital," she said to me.

"I'll be fine," I told her as I pushed my hair over my neck to cover it. "I'm just a bit creeped out." 

++++

The bell rang as I pushed the door open, the stuffiness and the smell of old paper hit me. I looked up at the counter to see Edgar and Allan's head shoved in a comic. I walked up there and hit the books down with my hands.

"What was that for!" Edgar exclaimed.

"I need to show you something," I told them, looking back at the few people browsing the store. "In private."

Allan gestured for me to come around the counter and into the backroom. Once we were alone I flipped my hair to the side and revealed to them my neck. Both of their eyes got wide as they looked at my neck.

"Who did that?" Edgar exclaimed.

"Or who," Allan stated.

"I don't know," I frowned, "Last thing I remember is talking to Dwayne on the boardwalk. And then my sister woke me up. I was on the porch.

"You're on of them now!" Allan exclaimed with wide eyes.

I rolled my eyes, "No I'm not."

"She's right," Edgar agreed, "She has to drink the blood."

"Well one thing is certain, your boyfriend and friends are a bunch of bloodsucking bastards." 

"He's not my boyfriend," I stated as I looked away from their stern stares. "What can we do about it?"

"Stake them," Edgar shrugged.

"And how do we propose to do that?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

"Not we," Edgar smirked, "You."

++++

I sat behind the glass counter of the record store flipping through a Rolling Stone, occasionally looking up at the customers. The sun fell in the sky and the stars came out, but they were hidden from the bright lights of the boardwalk. Sometimes I missed the vast sky filled with thousands of twinkly lights of my home and nothing but the sound of the breeze and tree frogs croaking. It was times like this that I missed the normalcy of small town life, a life before vampires.