Chapter 7

A/N

I don't have enough time to get this novel finished in time for the deadline for Watty Awards. But please keep commenting, (which makes my day!), and reading. Thank you very much for your support and comments!!!

---------------------------------------

"Is she dead?" 

"Obviously not; we'd see her spirit." 

Movement makes my ears stand aware. Voices from familiarity drift in and out of my brain. Recognition of one spirit: Samuel. The other... as I rack my memory for the other familiar voice, a pounding in my temples makes me want to stop thinking all together. My muscles feel sore when I try to stretch them. 

"Alice, are you awake?" It's Bailey's voice. 

My eyes shoot open and I straighten forward. Dizzy stars slur my vision, however, the first and most obvious thing I realize is that, I'm not outside. It's not cold, nor hot. It's...room temperature. I glance around. White walls, white floor, there is absolutely no color in this room. Except for the clothes I wear.

I glance down. I was nude when I... Memories flood into mind as I think about what happened last. I was captured! Oh my... "Samuel, where am I?" I whisper aloud. 

His comforting voice immediately starts soothing my shaking. "They have taken you but you're alive. You are alright, Alice. I think they're just curious of you..." he pauses. "The world is so different now than it was four centuries ago. It's so...odd."

"What's changed?" 

Bailey smiles from the corner of the room. "Everything."

I see that Samuel glares at Bailey for a split second before moving toward me. "He's right, Alice. Buildings, much bigger than the mansion, are everywhere. The people aren't genuine any longer. Murderers and robbers...they're everywhere it seems." 

"Look at the bright side!" Bailey is silenced by Samuel's ferocity. 

A door on the far wall opens then and a woman steps through. She's wearing white clothing. Slacks that men wear which are white and then a large shirt. The shirt is cheaply made and it confuses me on why she isn't wearing a corset dress. She has honey blonde hair that's put on top of her head by an elastic-something. Her nose is small and her eyes hold nothing of interest. The woman withholds a set frown while she speaks. 

"Hello, I'm Cherry Blane and I'm your nurse. It seems as though you, sweetheart, have been rescued from an unknown island. Would you like to tell me your name?" She holds out a long-fingered hand with color on her nails. 

I glance from Samuel- who is watching me closely -and to the woman called: Cherry. What an odd name, I think to myself. I realize she's asked me a question and cock my head to the side. "No, where is David?" His name brings up acid on my tongue and I feel the sudden need to spit. 

Cherry Blane seems taken aback at my request since her eyes widen and she starts fiddling the hem of her unravishing shirt. "What did you just say? How do you know-" A buzz sounds from somewhere and a chill goes through my spine from it.

The irregular accent triggers my brain to make me shudder, I'm assuming. 

Cherry stops talking and seems like she's listening. I figure out the metal in her ear quick enough. "I'll come for you in...a bit." She smiles in an uneasy sort of way. 

Samuel's whispering in my ears now. "You have to grab her before she leaves, Alice. We need to figure out what this place we're in is, and I don't want to leave you here with this." he nods to Bailey. "Remember how the young spirits used to play." 

And I do; they used to roll around on each other. 

So as Cherry turns, I grab, with both hands, her shoulders. I spin her around and before she can react, shove her against one of the walls- my forearm against her throat. Cherry makes an exasperated sound and suddenly, I'm very furious at her. I've no idea who she is yet they've taken me from my home. 

When the buzz sounds in her ear, I dig my slender fingers in and rip out the metal piece. It shatter across the wall as I throw it with my other hand. She squeals at my cold touch and struggles, her arms thrashing at my skin. 

Even though pain is immense, I almost growl at her when I speak. "Where am I?!" When she doesn't reply, I lean my body weight against her throat. She chokes and repeat myself, "Tell me where I am or I'll kill you." 

Samuel whispers in my voice. "Ease up, Alice. You're suffocating her." 

Immediately, I release her throat a centimeter; she gasps for breath for a moment. Her eyes are full of fear of the unknown so she whispers instead of replying full on. "Don't... I'm just working. I didn't mean to be so..so rude. I was just doing as told. You're in the Asylum." 

The words arises the memory of Gabby and I'm so stunned as to why she didn't follow me. "Why am I here?" I ask, my voice turning up the volume. 

"Because you're being-" 

The door swings open and there stands David. His eyes search the room before he smiles my way. At the sight, Samuel and Bailey both close the distance between them and me. David notices nothing. As I remember him holding a cloth against my mouth, i intentionally lean into Cherry's throat. 

"Would you like to talk?" His tone hints nothing of fear for the woman. 

Samuel starts whispering rapidly into my ear while Bailey hums some new tune of piano. "Alice, do not kill the woman. Maivus would be very upset, I think. Even though this woman is different then what we have witnessed, she still withholds a soul and we don't want to interrupt her life. Alice!" he snaps when I've leant to far inward so I'm completely suffocating Cherry. "Stop, you're killing her.

 "Alice, if you kill this woman, I will leave you for eternity!" This sentences cuts me off. 

I lean back and push my chin into the air as some of the spirits I know do when they're attempting bravery. 'I would after I get answers." 

David grins completely. "Of course, but only if I get my own answers." His facial expression plays with amusement as he watches me. In a different gesture, he holds out his slightly sun kissed hand. 

Samuel whispers: "Take it in yours, Alice." 

And I do.