Chapter 8

I follow this man down a plain brown hallway with black tile-flooring. The people whom we pass stare and gawk at me. One woman with bright blue hair even glares my way. There are many doors on either side of the walls, most silver with numbers sprawled over the top half. 

  I stop for a second to readjust myself, or try to loosen the fabric upon my skin.The clothes they have me wearing rub against my flesh in an uncomfortable action as I walk. 

   David turns sharply then, around to face me before pulling out a rag. I eye it wearily yet glare intensely, since he captured me with that. I crouch low in an offensive stance, waiting for this person to make an advance toward me. He doesn't, just smiles that dangerous smile "Are you going to allow yourself to be blindfolded," he asks in a deep voice. "Or will I have to put you to sleep?"

   Sleep, I think to myself. Just remembering now that I don't feel tired. Yet. "How long ago did you take me?" I half-yell, my nerves starting to spark. 

   David seems surprised at my outburst but recovers quickly. "Why?" 

   An impulse to move forward and shake the truth out of him is overpowering- I somehow manage it. Samuel's presence comes and calms me some, though. "How many days?" I grit my teeth.

  David's frown is forced as his eyes dance with amusement. "Shall I just use this?" He holds up the dirtied rag.

   I growl under my breath but don't reply for a few minutes, just stand openly, waiting for his movement. "Tell me how many days and I'll allow myself to be blindfolded without a quarrel." Slowly, to prove myself, I straighten my stance.

  David gazes at me for a moment. "Five days; why does it matter to you?" 

   My thoughts automatically mull this over. That gives me a day and a half, maybe longer if I can hold it out that long. I blink a couple times and see that David has walked forward six paces. "All right..." I close my eyes so as not to feel claustrophobic..

   Something of warm fabric is pressed over my eyelids. and I inhale a sweet smell. I strain to keep my focus on the sounds of our feet padding, sullenly allowing myself to be led by the wrist. This is dangerous, I know, but...what else am I to do? I ask myself. 

   Samuel is beside me the whole time, whispering the direction in which we are going. "We're about to enter a room through a large, ebony door." he whispers, his ghostly breath only a breeze on the back of my neck.

   The temperature becomes lower, to the point where I'm about to start shivering. 

   "Out with you, both!" David snaps suddenly. "She's of no danger to me!" I hear some manly grunts and even a slap before the door creaks and closes.

     What was that about? I think to myself.

   The blindfold is removed and as it is, I'm caught off guard by how elegant this room looks. Diamond chandeliers, a grand-oak piano at the far corner. A plush looking couch which is auburn, and a chair on the other side across. The walls are a golden wallpaper as the ceiling reminds me of the night sky. This room is of a calming aroma.

   David watches me intensely as I stroll toward the couch. "Please, sit." he says. 

   I do, and it feels wonderful! The fabric is of a soft velvet. After a few moments of running my palm over it, I realize he's watching me so I stop. I sit straight as taught at a young age to do, and gaze toward him right back.

   "Mind telling me why you were out there on an island?" he asks, sitting across from me. 

   I cock my head to the side. "It is my home." 

   "How did you come to be there? Where are your parents?" David's silvery eyes blaze into mine. 

   "Dead off." I answer with an emotionless tone- my back straightening in a nonchalant way. As I said, I've lived there my life." 

   David leans forward anxiously. "And how long is that?" 

   I pause, glancing around the room. Samuel is beside the piano. "How old do I look?" I whisper almost soundlessly. David doesn't hear but Samuel does, and he is whispering in my ears within seconds. 

   "Your organs are nineteen in their books. Relax, Alice. He's getting suspicious at your silence." 

   I lean back, forcefully relaxing my back muscles. "Nineteen. How old are you?" 

   David's eyes flash with amusement. "Twenty." he states. 

   Silence follows and I bein staring at the grand piano. I admire the oak which at first glance looks smooth, but I can now see different ridges. The piano keys are shiny so I know someone plays it often. 

   "Would you like to play it?" David asks, his voice has deepend an octave.    I rise, silent padding across the room to sit gingerly upon the stool. My feet automatically place over the pedals. For a while, I sit with my eyes closed- pretending I'm back in the mansion, with the breeze painting itself on my back. The children's laughter filling the air with a happy influence. Somewhere far a way, a deep base sound mixes beautifully with an alto key. Complex music notes are sprung out, never pausing. 

   The more I go into thought, the less I feel like I was ever captured. Memories flood my mind, and I let myself be soaked with them. 

   In one, my childlike being is running about the mansion. Samuel is sitting about in different areas in the house, as I was thinking he was trying to catch me. I'd scream with laughter then turn on my heel. 

   The second memory is of a spirit that once visited me before going on to home. He had dark hair that sprung across his forehead messily. His eyes had  surprised me- 

   "Wow. That's amazing." The memory is torn from behind my eyes when David speaks. "How did you learn if you were-" 

   My glare cuts him off. How dare he interrupt me! Flaming with white-hot anger, I stand. A thump sounds and I know the stool has been knocked over. "Never interrupt me. Again." Acid drips fluidly into my tone. 

   Blackout.