Someone To Lose

Gwaine laid his bed, staring at the wall. He'd given up trying to move and was now just letting the memories wash over him, letting himself truly mourn.

---------------

The four of them: Merlin, Arthur, Lancelot and Gwaine, had run into the ruins together. The veil they had to repair was there, in the middle of the room. An old woman stood in front of it.

"It is not often we have visitors."

Her voice was rough and scratchy, like it was barely ever used.

"Put an end to this. I demand you heal the tear between the two worlds," Arthur said, his royal authority showing.
"It was not I that created this horror. Why should it be I that stops it?"
"Because innocent people are dying!" Merlin shouted.
"Indeed," the woman said before she let out a cruel laugh.

Gwaine saw red and charged forward with a yell. He felt something push him back, knock the air out of him and suddenly he was on the ground at the back of the room. Everything was blurred for a moment and Gwaine heard, "Is that the best you can do?" before everything went black.

He wasn't sure how long he was laying on the ground for, but when Gwaine opened his eyes again Merlin and Arthur were kneeling beside him.

"Gwaine! You're awake! Are you hurt?" Merlin asked, sounding relieved and... upset?
"I'm okay, just a bit sore," Gwaine said as he sat up. Arthur pushed him back down, but not before Gwaine had the chance to see the room. The veil was gone. And so was Lancelot.

"Where's Lance?" Gwaine asked.

Merlin and Arthur looked down.

"Where's Lance?" Gwaine repeated more forcefully as he sat up again.

"He... the only way to stop the dorocha and heal the tear was to offer a sacrifice," Merlin started, his voice shaking.
"Lancelot sacrificed himself," Arthur finished.

Gwaine backed away from them, eyes wide. He shook his head, unable to believe what they were saying.

"No! No! You're lying!" He cried out.
"Gwaine," Merlin said softly, "We wouldn't lie about this."

Tears fell from Gwaine's eyes as he continued to shake his head and whisper, "No," over and over.

He couldn't believe it. Lancelot was gone.

He didn't even get to say goodbye.