Chapter 8: I Should Tell You

Lucas stood frozen. I fell to my knees and let the tears fall. I knew I couldn't do anything about it so, I just let them fall. Then, it started to rain. Just freaking perfect.
Lucas came up to me, knelt down, and pulled me in for a hug. He wrapped his warm arms around me and I felt like I was melting away. He picked me up and started down the stairs. He opened the door to my room and set me on the bed.
"Laura, I don't care what you've done, who you are, or where you're from. I'm in love with you. We all have a dark past and we all get through it. You've helped me out and you haven't even realized it."

"Lucas, I'm in love with you. But, one day I'll have to leave and go back to where I belong. That's why I've been in such a mood. I don't want to leave you."

He pulled me close and kissed me. I was in shock for a moment and then I returned the favor. My face was wet with tears. He pulled me in tighter.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" Lucifer said while climbing out of the shadows.

"Uncle?" Lucas asked confused.

"Uncle?" I asked turning to Lucas.

"Thank you, my boy for helping me, with Laura. She's been hard to persuade."

"What do you mean, Uncle?"

My head stayed looking at the ground. I knew what Lucifer was doing. The easiest trick in the book. Temptation.

"Lucifer, go back to Hell. You haven't won anything. You haven't broken my faith or hope and you never will." I said standing a little straighter.

"Lucas, I have to go but, why don't you tell your girlfriend the truth." And with that he disappeared.

Now I was facing Lucas, and his head was facing down.
"What did he mean by tell me the truth?" I said as tears started to build up again.
I could see tears starting to roll down his face.
"I knew this whole time he was trying to get to you. He asked me to talk to you and try to tempt you but, instead I fell in love with you and I've been trying to protect you since. Laura, if I let anything happen to you now I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I love you, and I'd walk the fires of Hell if it meant I could see your smile again."

"Lucas, I love you. Temptation led me to you but, we fell in love and even Lucifer couldn't have predicted that. I'm trying so hard to get back to Heaven but, at the same time I want to be with you."

"Laura, I'm sorry for everything. I need to show you one thing before you make any decisions."

He pulled off his shirt and wings started to stretch out. They were pitch black in most places but, there were white feathers, too. The mark of a fallen dark angel.